"Pop-ups add new twist" question.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Ghost, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Guest

After reading that article ( http://news.com.com/2100-1023-978616.html?tag=fd_top ), I was wondering if you've examined the method by which the 'kick through' works, and whether or not a defense against it could be incorporated into one of the "Blaster" programs.

2. snowman

snowman Guest

*But a relatively new feature may make it harder for people to avoid these windows. Using a technique called the "kick through," advertisers can direct a person to another Web site if they simply move their cursor across the pop-up ad--no clicking is necessary. *

Ghost...best of season wishes to you.......just read the article........is this just the "mouseover" effect ? Later I'll try to locate a website thats using it.......curious.

best

snowman

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It does sound like a simple "mouseover" effect - if you do locate a site with these, I'll gladly take a look at it. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Hi, snowman! Sounds like a variation on the "mouse-over" technique, but I'm not tehcnically-savvy enough to take it apart and examine its' innards - that's why I was hoping Javacool could do so.

The best to you, too, my friend.

5. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Jc - Tried to get something to happen at both the ESPN and NYT sites, but I think that I'm already protected against whatever it is due to the use of OutPost, Agnis f/OP, IE-Spy-Ad, etc.

Couldn't get anything to happen (of course, I couldn't get to ESPN at all, so that doesn't count!).

Of course, I don't have a test computer, either.

6. snowman

snowman Guest

JavaCool

I just checked out <espn> one of the websites listed as using this exploit........an the exploit failed..no pop-ups........so the pop-ups can be blocked. One thing I did pick up before the website the the two-step.....hidden under one of the ads was <go to msn.com>. Java is extensively used at the above site .

Merry Christmas JavaCool........

Ghost......the pop-ups can be blocked....hope this helps

best

snowman

7. snowman

snowman Guest

Ghost

As you can see from my post I did get into the site...even with java disabled.....but most everything was blank.......due to other reasons of security.

Glad you are able to block the pops.....

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.