Pop-Up Program Snatches Banking Passwords

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Customers who use a number of the top online banking sites are at risk of falling prey to a new Web-based attack that snatches user IDs and passwords for these sites.

Among the sites targeted by the attack are some owned by Citibank, Deutsche Bank and Barclays Bank.

Eweek

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Wow - that's scary stuff.

Knowing how many folks don't secure their PC's, this could be a real problem. I also wonder how well prepared those of us that make an effort are. o_O

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks like the antivirus companies will have to update their sigs.

Yahoo

4. dog

dog Guest

Good post as always Ronjor, ;)

Now I got Eweek bookmarked ... it'll give me a little more good reading. ;)

This news is quite sad ... internet banking seems to have become quite popular .... I still haven't made the transition ... and probably won't for a while, with my concerns over security that exsisted prior to this news. I make online purchases ... but I got a "special" card for that ... with an extremely low limit ...

I wonder how my users of online banking fall victim to similar threats ... trojan keyloggers and screen capture ... it's funny and sad, that many people that I know; that do online line banking, also are users of P2P networks like KaZaa ... and we know what kind breeding ground, distribution source that is ... :'(

dog - *puppy*

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I tried to go to Deutsche Bank using Firefox and got this message: Please use a browser that supports frames and activate JavaScript.

Not good in my opinion.

6. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Hi RonJor,

Yes, that is exactly what i have seen, banks have websites running (for bank transactions) that can only work,
    with the most unsafe browser, with the security settings
    set to the worst settings.
    (IE , MS-Java,Javascript etc. etc.)

If you have taken any action to browse safe on the web, you can not use their websites.

So ... "let's be carefull out there !!!"

7. sekuritas

sekuritas Registered Member

Looks like phishing has gone to a new height (of attacking us).

Most of these keyboard loggers steal our password by capturing our keystrokes. This tool may be more secure; we don't have to key-in our password once we have set it up. Since we are not typing in any login name and password, there is nothing for the keyboard loggers to capture. :)

Check out http://www.soft-trek.com.au/prjIpGuardian.asp to see if it suits you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.