Police Push for Warrantless Cell Tracking

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Searching_ _ _, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20008941-281.html

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

And all that while Sen. Cornyn of Texas and Sen. Schumer of NY introduce a bill to make anonymous, pre-paid cell phones illegal in the USA. Sad.

When anonymous phones are outlawed - only outlaws will have anonymous phones. Seriously, they're calling this anti-terror legislation; like a terrorist couldn't find a phone to use without it being tied to him. And as far as them using it as a remote device to set-off bombs, would they CARE if it were tracked back to them? I mean really.

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It is quite easy to still obtain anonymous phones even when it might be illegal.
    Have you ever noticed how many cell phone booths are around at the malls?

I just hope that it is one of the 26,000 bills every year that don't get heard.
    A committee of senior politicians decides which bills get heard and which don't.

I am not for warrantless searches regardless of the tech. And the other issue is the excessive use of "child endangerment" as a reason to have legislation, used to invoke fear that may help to get the legislation heard or passed.
    If no federal court has ruled on the topic then you can bet that a lot of police departments are tracking peoples cell phone locations.

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I find it pretty preposterous that it's not even against the law to own unregistered firearms, but Congress wants to outlaw unregistered cell phones. Retarded. We would all be better off if Congress would just go home. Seriously.

(NOTE: I am not in favor of outlawing unregistered firearms -- just making a point).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.