Pokki wiil be pre-installed on Lenovo computers with Win 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Robin A., Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't know. I kind of like it. Microsoft doesn't seem to want to listen to their customers so, the customers find alternatives.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Steve Ballmer announced his retirement today - I think he was pushed out of the door!

Hopefully, Microsoft's disastrous Edsel - Windows 8 will soon follow suit! :thumb:

5. NormanF

Yup. With Ballmer's exit from the company, here's to hoping they get Windows 9 right. Its the only play Redmond has left! :rolleyes:

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I think the Start menu thing has gotten a bit ridiculous, even though I too detest Windows 8. I don't see this idea making the slightest bit of a difference really. There's also the recent and somewhat provable news that Lenovo systems have been found to have hacked hardware installed in them. So yeah, you get your Start button, but what else might you be getting?

As to Windows 9, don't expect any miracles. It's already well into development and it'll be a good 6 months best case scenario before Ballmer leaves, probably the full 12 months if not more. Windows 9 isn't that far off from release at this point, and I seriously doubt any major do-overs would be started now.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't mean to take the thread off track, but yeah, I wouldn't expect much of a change in direction in 9... after Ballmer leaves, they may eventually get things together, but that could take years. I think they need to see their efforts in the mobile market fail for a few years, before they will change course....

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I doubt they're worried as anyone using the Lenovo range with that adaptation added will have Windows installed so MS have their money so any customisation isn't going to upset them.

If Lenovo were switching to Linux or Mac, then you could say Microsoft might be worried. ;)

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've always liked Lenovo laptops, I think that I like them more now ...

10. NormanF

Lenovo did an excellent job of continuing IBM's famed Thinkpad. Don't knock the Chinese - they're excellent build quality. When IBM sold its computer division to Lenovo, they may have done the right thing after all. I love my Thinkpad! :thumb:

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Lenovo Turns to a Startup to Bring the Start Menu Back to Windows

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-to-bring-the-start-menu-back-to-windows.html

12. NormanF

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Lenovo decides to replace Modern UI (which some people hate) with Pokki (that some other people hate).

With 8.1 coming, you get your Start button and you can bypass the Start Screen at start-up. Remove all the "Modern Apps" shortcuts and fill it with your "Desktop programs" shortcuts - basically, you get a Start Menu except for the fact that it fills your screen. No 3rd-party software required and there will be no need for updates.

I'm not sure what to say....

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

8.1 is actually not bad.. I was impressed with it.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Say, wait for Win 9 and see if things has changed even more than in 8.1 :)

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Nay. By then, God knows what other changes they make. Then, we get all the non-stop drama all over again.

I have my fair share of pet peeves with Win8 but people crying out loud over the Start Menu thing is let's just say....hysterical. Yeah. There you go - I've said it. :p

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well I think they know by now that they should not continue any further in this direction, they need to go back a bit, and then continue in a new direction towards Win 9/10. Who knows maybe they already work on a new masterpiece :shifty:

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

yeah, it's certainly looks like hysteria to me.

i wished all those people complaining about Win 8 would switch to Ubuntu and leave us alone with their whining.
    ----
    had a look at Pokki.

it does look nice but it is useless for me, since i almost never used the Start menu on any of the Windows OS i've had anyway.
    i got my own shortcuts folder and as long as i can find the Control Panel i am good to go.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  19. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Don't be fooled into thinking Lenovo is doing this for the good of their users. This "start menu" has it's own App Store with its very own set of apps. Lenovo will be getting a cut of all purchases, you can bet on that. All this just creates even more confusion for the average user.

What I'd really like to see is if the "reset my pc" feature scrubs off all that OEM bloatware.

20. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

This is great for the idiots who don't want to let go of the obsolete and inefficient start menu.

21. NormanF

People like doing things a certain way! They don't like change if its not in line with their needs. Its human nature and for people the desktop paradigm is still very much relevant because it simply works! :thumb:

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Regardless of Lenovo's motives, at least they are listening to potential customers.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

And where's your reasoning? Tell me why I need more than (keyboard and icon) shortcuts, folders, and the search bar for my programs.

I don't particularly view Metro as the defining reason not to upgrade having tried it myself, but it's far from a necessity that makes the start menu obsolete or inefficient.

24. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Gotta love that squirrel pulling back the Windows 8 board game to reveal an actual start menu. Good job, Lenovo.

25. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Its way more proficient to have your run and cmd prompts readily available in your start menu rather than having to press a series of key combinations or go through task managed to get them. Windows 8 is much more inefficient as a whole. Not to mention tons of software still isnt compatible including alot of ATI Catalyst drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.