PM 10 Personal: Copy hard drive suggestion / question

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by nlavery, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nlavery

nlavery Registered Member

I used PM 10.0 Personal to copy (clone) my 160 GB hard disk onto a USB-attached, 320 GB HD. The USB HD had two partitions, G: and H: of about the same size. My hope was to copy/clone my C: drive to G:, leaving H: in tact. The process went well but initially the USB HD was not recognized in My Computer. Using Windows disk management I had to re-assign the G: designaiton to the USB HD. The made it show up in My Computer, but it was just one large, 320 GB partition - H: had been merged into G:

I then re-created the H: partition to get back to where I wanted to be.

But is there a way to preserve the partition structure of the external USB HD when using the Copy Hard Disk function to avoid all this post processing?

Thanks.........Toby

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

hI,

If you use the copy Disk function then that is what it does - it copies the smaller Disk ( including the first track with the partition table ) onto the second Disk. Therefore the other partition on the second disk is no longer in the partition table.

You could use the copy partition function , or make an image of the smaller disk and restore it to the G partition.

Hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.