PLZ 'IF' U can help NAV2002/2003

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by futurefriend, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futurefriend

futurefriend Guest

HELLO ALL, MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME HERE,FOR LAST 2 WEEKS,HAVE BEEN HAVING major problems, WITH NORTON ,2002(ANTIVIRUS&FIREWALL,) and 2003 trialware, i called Norton,(not the 800# ) and have written them online,AFTER 8 DAYS SOMEONE FINALLY GOT BACK to me online sating they "'lost' whate post i orignally made
    (THE LINK BELOW SHOWS ALL THE PROBLEMS have been having) & have FDISK & FORMATED drives probally 10 times,on my symantec products both show & norton confimed,fates,(good until 2/11/04) 3 questions
    PROBLEM
    #1,newest: downloaded NAV trialware 2003, ok
    and all looked good, i could configure it,(clicking on icon by clock,-little yellow computer)
    but I VANNOT,(tried left & right clicking on ANYTHING on desktop that said norton) I cannot open the MAIN PAGE for NAV2003,9where U can run manual scan
    #2,COULD or WOULD it be possivle maybe for norton to "'send me a virus, or do something on line that would screw up my computer?
    #3, I even tried running my NIV 2002 abd it on't work,
    any suggestions

or has anyone else faced these same problems,a'friend

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6044582~root=security,1~mode=flat

- Added URL tags to fix link - LWM

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

To be honest your problems could be related to anything and without a huge ammount more info I doubt we'll solve your problems.
    With regards to Q2: Symantec have not sent you a virus, if you downloaded your trialware from a reputable source you'll be fine (warez sites and the like are a different matter)

May I suggest you forget about Norton and download another Antivirus?
    There are many free products and some a very fine too, or you could trial a 'pay for' antivirus such as Nod32 or Kaspersky etc.

I suggest you at least d/l a decent av and give your system a thorough scan,this will give you a clean base to work from and it will ease your concerns. Try that and let us know how you get on.

But firstly dont panic, stay calm and we'll help you along, no doubt some others will be along soon to help also.
    :)

Kev

3. root

root Registered Member

Hi. It is not unheard of for Norton, McAfee, and indeed other security programs to cause problems on some machines.
    My first question would be, do you have another AV installed, and especially do you have another AV monitor loading at startup? Having another AV monitor could surely cause such problems.
    If you do not have another AV installed, you might consider trying another product. Make sure you have Norton cleaned off your system good and I would suggest a good registry cleaning with a tool such as jv16 power tools.
    NOD32 is a top of the line AV, but if you choose that, I would suggest having TDS3 also installed for trojan protection.
    If you cannot afford both, I suggest first try KAV, without installing the Control Center, or DrWeb, which is what I currently use, or F-Secure. I understand RAV is good, but I have never used it. PC Cillian has some limitations and conflicts for some, so you might want to get your problems sorted out before trying it.
    There is no current good anti trojan program that is free, so take that into consideration.
    Settle down, take a deep breath, go easy on the Caps, and we can help you get this sorted out. :)

4. hello all

hello all Guest

hello all, 1st I DOWNLOADED NAV & firewall drom symantec's own web sute,home page,2nd for 4 days I pulled all or Norton/symantec out & up until yesterday was using AVG antivirus & ZONE ALARM PRO frialware,

PROBELEMS STARTED when i d/l a symantec INTEL update, instead if just adding tlive update,really messed up my computer,

NOW GET THIS, yesterday-Tuesday)

I DOWN re downloaded my 2002 NAV from a cd,-WHY
    (because using VG it would only scan (all computer) 10,000 or so files,but when i would download Norton & run scan it scanned all extensions, ect all of computer,all 75811 files)

ok anyway I unpluged telephone line from computer,(to shut down all running programs for virus scan) took out my zone alarm,& did the virus scan ALL CLEAN

then judt out of curiousity I re installed my NAV & NPF,(good until NEW DATE, 2/21/04, and I'll be dammmmmmmmmmmmmm IF ALL ISN'T WORKING GREAT AS BEFOR, NOW(745 am central Wednesday) MAYBE it was just something in the Int'l update, but will NEVER use the int'l update again, a'friend'

NOT TRYING TO BE A PAIN in the "'ba harkus us, just don't understand, :D :cool: :D

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Hi Friend,

Hope you get it fixed today. Give my best to the red baron ;)

Regards,
    John

6. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Make sure you d/l the "i32" file, which implies compatibility with "32 bit windows systems". It is available either via the symantec ftp site or the symantec website.

ftp download: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/

http download: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

either location is fine, to d/l your update: just make sure you choose the file with "i32" and not "x86". The "x86" file is twice as large and is designed for updating a wider range of platforms; for 32-bit windows systems Win9x/2K/NT/XP such as we all have, you only need the smaller "i32" file. Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.