Plugin Discussion

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Phant0m, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Re: Plans for a new version??

The Look ‘n’ Stop should enhance how the plug-ins is introduced and how we can interact smoothly with plug-in features, like we should have a separate TAB for a plug-in section.

Plug-in support should be enhanced to manipulate the Look ‘n’ Stop GUI, like create new TABs, and apply checkboxs and radio selections and so on as seen fit… in these additional TABs created…

And also I can understand the reluctance for allowing the plug-ins to create rules that authorizes, but the plug-in should be-able to create rules that blocks at minimum! :'(

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, could be interesting, but probably for another release (I mean after the 2.06) if plugins are more developped ;)

Do you mean something is not working there ?
    Rule edition plugins are able to allow or block packets normally.

Frederic

3. Phant0m

LOL you surely like to keep me defined!

With the plug-in usage, I can have the plug-in create an additional standard rule? And have it toggle with the permit / deny rule flags?

4. Phant0m

Basically what I’m saying is the plug-in lacks in automatic interaction with the packet-filtering area, to have it create a standard rule automatically and build up on that! This without any user intervention…

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The Allow/Block flag is part of the interface, but effectively not used by the RawRuleEdition plugin (which creates by default a blocking rule).
    The flags on the Internet Filtering page can be changed whatever the type of rule (standard or via a plugin).

Frederic

6. Phant0m

Therefore it is possible to control all of the rules flags including the permit / deny ones, automatically with a plug-in, this information not been included in the SDK package was it?

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Not all flags... but the allow / deny one, yes, it is the AllowBlock parameter in PiEditRulePF function.
    For the other flags: enable/disable the rule, logging on/off, stopping or not examining the rest of the rules, they are not available to plugins (like for the standard edition).

Frederic

8. Phant0m

I had to delete my previous post; I got side-tracked, but what I meant to ask is, can the Look ‘n’ Stop plug-in offer means to create a new standard rule ‘AUTOMATICALLY’ (and without any user intervention) on the Internet Filtering screen?

9. Phant0m

Frederic

I have just discovered that the actual module filename cannot be no longer than 19 characters (excluding the filetype) it’ll cause Look ‘n’ Stop to crash when exiting of the Look ‘n’ Stop application, re-booting and returning to the plug-in screen shows the plug-in de-selected in addition.

If it weren’t for my confidence, knowing there was absolutely nothing wrong with my Look ‘n’ Stop plug-in ‘PluginRulesetValidator.dll’ I wouldn’t have considered this an possibility… :cool: :D :p

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No, there is no such a possibility right now.
    But what do you mean exactly by "Automatically" ? you need a trigger anyway. A plugin can't be fully automatic, it has to be called on some events.

Today the way it works is the following:
    - some people create rules using the RawEdit plugin (and it could be any other rule creation plugin)
    - these new rules are offered as download somewhere
    - some users get these rules and add them to their ruleset and save the ruleset
    - each time the ruleset is loaded these rules created initially with a plugin are automatically used.

Frederic

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, I will add more control on that (and extend a little bit the number of characters, if possible).

Frederic

12. Phant0m

What I have meant by ‘automatically’ is, the standard rule that is used on the ‘Internet Filtering’ page, a plug-in should be-able to create through human interaction (like when user access the Plug-in configurations and doing stuff), unlike RawRuleEdit that implements selections through the ‘Add’, ‘Edit’ buttons drop-lists from the Internet Filtering screen… Thus requiring some steps by the user, not an ideal thing if a plug-in creator wants to make their own version of ‘Rule Edition’, to create special rules, not an ideal thing also if someone wants to make IDS or an multi-IP blocking list… ;)

13. Phant0m

OK here is my suggestion; adjust Look ‘n’ Stop to have its plug-in area through a TAB of its own, here we implement sub-tabs, by default there is only one sub-tab (we refer it as ‘General’ and this is seen always upon every visit to the main ‘Plugins’ Tab, here will contain the setup we see when actually visiting Look ‘n’ Stop ‘Plugins settings’. With use of Plug-ins that are able to create a separate sub-Tab where they can offer capabilities to create listboxes and other simple controls like buttons, and checkboxes…

14. Phant0m

You don’t have to extend the plug-in filename length acceptance, just add a check on the filename length to avoid future issues. I just created my Plug-in today naming it just ‘PluginRlsValidator.dll’

15. Phant0m

You should offer support for Look ‘n’ Stop systray icon to be changed through the use of plugin ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.