Plex for Linux: Stream HD Content Everywhere!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by apathy, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I've been a long fan of Plex but it was for Windows and MacOSX only. Only a year or so ago they released a version of Plex for Linux. It perfectly streams, transcodes and direct plays just about anything you can throw at it. For example I was streaming Kung fu flix using Ubuntu and my Freenas box mounted via nfs. It played decently even on a lousy netbook, but if you have 2 or 4 cores it is superb. You can watch your vids on any ios/android phone or tablet. It plays subtitles excellently as well. If you have a roku box like I do it supports that nicely too. They keep adding features, a recent one is plexweb. You can watch your media over the internet on a web page.

What is Plex?:

Plex Media Center is the front-end media player component of Plex. Forked from XBMC in 2008, Plex Media Center allows users to browse and play local media, as well as utilize plugins and content which are hosted by a Plex Media Server. Plex supports a wide range of multimedia formats and includes features such as playlists, audio visualizations, slideshows, weather forecasts reporting, and an expanding array of third-party plugins. As a media center, Plex can play most audio and video file formats, as well as display images from many sources, including CD/DVD-ROM drive, USB flash drives, the Internet, and local area network shares.

Here's a screenshot of Plexweb and my media library(FUFLiX!!)
    plex.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.