Please vote for my Idea on Avira Feedback

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Hi guys, I submitted an Idea on Avira Feedback,

If you think it is good, please vote for me.

Additionally, for those that use the Free Avira, they can submit an idea to remove OE so we can once more start using the free version of Avira for our friends, familiy members, or clients as I know many have stopped using it because of OE.

"Hi, I have a small suggestion which I hope can be implemented. I was a NOD32 user for the past 7 years and what I noticed about NOD32 AND Kaspersky Antivirus, is if you go to add a folder or file through the exclusions, they will also show the system hidden files so it makes it easy for me to have access to any file to whitelist without having to first enable show hidden system files from the Folder Options and then having to turn it back off once down whitelisting as it is the case with Avira now. A security application in my opinion should have all files shown regardless of what the folder options in Windows are both for convenience of the user and from a security standpoint where one would be able to actually see if any of those system hidden files was a fishy file which he may have missed. I hope you can implement this as Avira currently beats all other antivirus apps out there and is the lightest of them all. This is my only wish to make it perfect."

Link to vote:

https://avira.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Show-hidden-system-files/52535-26744?submitted=1

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  2. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Always show hidden system files(this may rootkit scanner do)
    However it is a good idea for finding hidden virus which modified by the GPO,let's vote to make it in the roadmap

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Yeah you know one time, I installed Windows, all my software, visited a few sites, before installing an antivirus.....next.....I installed SVP (smooth video project) to watch movies @ 60 FPS, now SVP works best when it is whitelisted by the AV, so I opened up my AV (it was another AV at the time), then I couldn't see the SVP folder which was in the C:\Users\All Users folder so I had to uncheck the hide system files to be able to see it.

Next, as I was browsing to see it, I noticed some weird folder (was malware) that was silently hidden in those hidden system files, my point is, not only it is more convenient for users to be able to whitelist anything they want, it also gives them a chance to see if anything fishy is there as they are browsing through their files.

NOD32 and Kaspersky do it this way, no matter what you actual folder options are, they will always show ALL files. I love that and it's my only wish to make this AV perfect (for me at least) as I love everything else about it.

4. guest

guest Guest

Since when Avira listens to customers anyway? >_>

5. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! The Avira Feedback...is in itself a Misnomer...meaning it's not a Forum like Wilders. Notice there is no Communication between Forum participants...or Avira Personnel. In all Fairness it's merely an Opinion Pool...where Avira Employees take Suggestions or Ideas and present them to Avira Management. For instance I suggested that Avira needs to incorporate some form of Cacheing or Digital Fingerprinting to lessen the Scan Times. An Avira Employee supposedly thought the idea warranted Merit and presented it to Avira for Action. That was 4 to 5 mths ago...still nothing. I know companies are typically slow in reacting to change...but calling Ideas a Forum is patently Misleading...in my Opinion. Sincerely...Securon

6. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

When it was introduction it didn't like a forum(similar site UserVoice)which was collecting our IDEA and bring the useful suggestion for internal
    If you really want to chat with the,open a thread in each Avira Beta Center(before that they also got a live chat,you could discuss many things with Avira Employee but they has been abandon)

If you still want to discuss with Avira Staff why not just PM with the Avira Staff here
    they are also a member of wilderssecurity too.

Moveon to Digital Fingerprinting and Caching
    I would like to say something,you can't expect it could bring any improvements few months if the suggestion was need to rebase or rebuild the whole basement/frameworks
    Digital Fingerprinting<this what it used by APC,But not in Local Engine
    Caching<New xVDF is but it not optimize so much for scanning time.....
    Also The cache files now quite large than what expect
    I would suppose optimize for multicore/multithread and shorten the scanner for de-shell
    program or archive time instead of caching some

Let's talk about a little story:
    That what I suffer at past When I was using Kaspersky v6(many years ago)at that time it was quite popular with NOD32 in Hong Kong(even now NOD32 was same) because they always have
    commercial on TV)
    Unluckly my computer knowledge not well compare now,I got infected with whole computer with the popular worms W32/Virus.Virut,there cache iScan and iSwift cause so much problem for me to cure the virus cause I don't expect it will not scan even the files got infected,
    Luckly I discover it to disable later and cured it,but it bring me a quite bad image of caching...
    At that time I also chosen to use Avira v7 free too(I was view that in Computer Magazine at School Library)

But until now I would not expect what 2015 will bring any "eye of candy" cause the next major update was 2014 update 8(I would like to call is a services pack than a simple update)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Speaking of scanning speed, although Avira AV Pro is the lightest for me out of the bunch I tried, its scanning definitely needs some work it's soooo slow, takes 4 times the time of other AV scans. With that said, its system impact is very low so that's why I stick to it.

8. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

Always show hidden files ?!

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

no not that, I always have "Always Show Hidden Files" My idea is to also show System Hidden files that don't appear normally if you just show hidden files which need an additionaly settings to uncheck "Hide protected Operating System Files". Some programs install themselves or some of their components in C:\Users\All Users which is a system hidden folder and won't appear normally. But a few other AVs like NOD32 and Kaspersky will show those folders regardless of what you have set in the Folder options which is very convenient for when you want to whitelist something. Please take the time to read my initial post again, I explained it pretty clearly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.