Please suggest a good and lightweight softwares for

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by raakii, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

antispyware and firewall.I have never used antispyware and firewalls , is it useful or can we do without it?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. Arup

Arup Guest

If you want lightweight, there are many choices, Sypware Terminator, Avira Premium, Avast as well as Windows' own Defender which now is evolving into a good app with HIPS if you join Spynet. For firewall the lightest is Windows built in one and in Vista, it can be set for outbound rules as well with the right 3rd party software.

3. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Raakii, would you take a look on my signature?

Thank you, PROROOTECT

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

hi prorotect
    I thought of using a anti spyware ,after seeing the signature of many members.

After reading the above posts I have decided not use a software firewall, just looking for a antispyware.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

You can do without the antispyware, your antivirus should catch most of the stuff and if you use firefox 3.0 that will prevent most of the drivebys. All antispyware software will slow your computer down. I've used spyware terminator(free) and webroot spysweeper and they both slowed my amd dualcore x4800 to an unacceptable level.

The lightest security software to use is "returnil" free, I use it as my antispyware software. Nothing has been shown to defeat this software from tests done here in this forum. It won't slowdown your computer. I only enable it when I will be surfing the internet. You won't even know it's on.

You do need a firewall (inbound and outbound protection) even a free one is better than no firewall.

My computer windows xp sp2
    1.zonealarm firewall (basic)
    2.avg 8.0 free antivirus
    3.firefox 3.0 browser
    4.returnil (used as antispyware protection)

My security setup is very light no slowdown. I haven't had any virus/malware/spyware problems in over a year. Very solid protection.

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I have just tried superantispyware real protection , my computer started to sleep.This software does not slow down the computer if we use it on demand.

It is used to maintain a static os partition , i need all changes to remain after reboot.

And returnil is a virtualizer isnt it?.How to use it as anti spyware?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.