Please recommend a basic DSL modem with firewall:

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wtsinnc, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hi;

I'm starting to experience internet slowdown with my 4 year old Netopia 2241N modem and I'm pretty sure it will need to be replaced soon.

Currently, I have AT&T DSL (1.5 Mbs) and only one computer (a desktop), so wireless capability isn't needed.

Does anyone have an opinion as to what would be for my basic needs the best DSL modem with firewall in terms of quality and performance. I would like to keep the price below $75.00 .

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. philby

philby Registered Member

How about a Netgear - used one of these for years with no issues at all...

62 USD delivered here

Wireless too, should you ever go that way...

Reviews here.

HTH

philby

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Check out the AT&T store:

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/gateways-routers-modems.jsp

When I had AT&T (SBC) DSL, I used a 2Wire gateway and never had one issue. I upgraded a few times to newer models and, eventually, wound up with the 2701 (again, no issues). After I moved, my DSL provider was CenturyLink but, fortunately, I was able to pick up a 2701HG which has worked perfectly for over 3 years. One issue with these things involves the power supply; you'll see *tons* of negative reviews from users who claim the gateways are garbage and fail constantly when, in fact, it's only the power supply that has failed (and you can pick up a new one for 10 bucks).

I know AT&T sells the 2701HG-B model for $100 but you can find them all over the place on ebay for anywhere from ~$30-$50 complete. Worth considering, at least.

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Thank you philby and prius04 for the information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.