Please, I need help, not sure if this is the right place to post

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by lost&confused, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Most laptops come with a prearranged rescue disk that is made prior to shipping the computer out to stores. This will allow you to go back to the factory settings, in case you ever need it. However, these settings might be out of date if you bought your computer long time ago.
    Tell me, when you bought your laptop, did you already have sp2 installed or did you need to install it afterwards?
    If you had it installed, then you do not need to download sp2 again.
    If not, several options are available:

If you have your windows installation disk (with or without sp1), I could try to help you create a slipstreamed disk - it's not difficult... :)

If you do not have your windows installation disk, then you will not be able to slipstream. In that case, after a possible restore, you will have to install the sp2 by yourself. But it does not have to be done via the web. You can do it manually.

I advise you to keep a cd / dvd copy of important stuff always at ready and not look for them when a crisis occurs.

I suggest you download, in your spare time:

Windows XP Service Pack 2
    All windows critical updates for Windows XP sp2 up to now (manual download so you can use them any time).
    Firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, browser, mail, and java installers - you can go with your favorites, or the ones I listed above in one of the posts.

Likewise, back up your personal, important data to cd / dvd once a month or so, and make fresh copy every month. Do not throw away old copies, because disks tend to become unusable after 2-3 years, so multiple copies are nice.

To sum it up, always have at ready:

CD with sp2
    CD with all other sp2 critical updates
    CD with software installers

CD with personal data (preferably 2 copies, monthly updates)

This way, you will be able to cozily update your pc without going to the internet and "exposing" yourself.

You can find the sp2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

You can find all microsoft updates here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

Select the product you need (win xp sp2), choose the time (let's say last 1 year or 3 years, whatever you need), you will get a long list of links to these updates. Click each one and download each one, save to a unique folder. I also suggest you save the web pages that explain the updates, so you will know what each update means. For instance, critical update for IE 6, KB223445 - the web page will contain all the necessary information, plus you will have the installer file.
    Save web pages in one folder. Save installers into another.
    Keep both these folders inside a major folder called "windows updates" or something like that, and then burn it to cd. First time, it will take time to download all the updates, but later, you will need to add only a few every month.

Enjoy,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.