Please Help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Noobie One Kenobi, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noobie One Kenobi

Noobie One Kenobi Registered Member

Hi
    I've been tinkering with my neighbors computer that's been infected with the smitfraud.c.
    He has Windows ME installed, and initially there was no way to get past the blue screen o' death, even ctrl-alt-del didn't get past it. But, I removed the hard drive and put it in my pc, and ran McAfee antivirus and Adaware. Then went in and deleted the wp.bmp (there was no .exe) and got rid of the error message screen, but have been left with the blank blue screen.
    Now, I've tried the ctrl-alt-del to do the "New Task" and "Regedit" to fix it, but there are no tabs to do anything. The only options are "End Task", "Shut Down", and "Cancel". No other options, no tabs at all.
    Now, when I ran McAfee and Adaware, I removed 9 viruses and 729 "spyware ?".
    Are there any other routes I can take to get this guy's computer up and running? Like I said, I can't get it to do anything in his box, I have the hard drive sitting in my pc right now, so can't do the "Add/Remove Programs", or "Regedit" or anything to it.
    Please help!

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hello, Welcome to Wilders!! :D

Have you tried booting to safe mode with the hard drive in his pc? If you could, then you could do your scans and change reg info if needed.

have you tried scanning with anything besides McAfee and Ad-Aware?
    I recommend running a multitude of cleaning scans (Spybot, MS Anti-Spyware, Stinger, Ewido, etc..) to see if you have a baddie.

If you are getting a BSOD, chances are, it might not be spyware, but a file configuration error.

3. Noobie One Kenobi

I had booted in safe mode before I posted here, forgot to put that in my post, but no joy. Instead of the warning message, I get a good wallpaper, but no functional desktop. Same indications, just no warning message.
    Do you recommend running the other scanners while the drive is in MY pc?

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Yes.

Cheers :D

5. Noobie One Kenobi

Wilco.
    Won't be back until Friday night, so will try then.
    Thanks for the reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.