Please help!!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by malibu76, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malibu76

malibu76 Registered Member

First off I am not sure if this is the right section of this forum for this question, so if it isnt, I apologize and please relocate it.

I just purchased a new computer, and immediatley after connecting to the computer It was attacked by all of this spyware crap. There was one site in particular that everytime I connect it would start connecting to its site and completely lock up my browser.

Well I went and bought Spy Sweeper by Webroot and Norton 2005 complete version with Antivirus, Firewall and all.

Well after running scans with both there were a couple items that would not remove.

The first was a virus that Norton found called Bloodhound.

The second was a program that Spy Sweeper found called WEBHANCER.

Here is the location Webhancer is in my computer.

File Name Location

webdhll.dll c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp\nsf3.tmp\webhancer.exe

whagent.exe Same

whiehlpr.dll Same

whsurvey.exe Same

wtoolsS.exe cL\document and settings\user\local settings\temporary internet file\content.IE5\q2hfiedd\wints[1].cab

Please , if there is any suggestion you can give me to delete these I would be greatly appreciative.

The Webhancer is picked up by the scan but it says it is unable to be deleted.

Thank you for the assistance,

Jimmy o_O

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Jimmy, welcome to the forum.
    Bad experience eh?
    Immediately install your firewall if you don't have that yet and block the traffic to those nasties (IP addresses and applications).
    Guess the spyware/adware you best fight with Ad-aware and SpybotS&D, install them and update them before you scan with them, the one after the other. Put them on highest scan options, and you should be clean in no time of this.

Oh and cleanign your browser caches will delete that file in the TIF as well.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Jimmy, and Welcome to Wilders!

In addition to Jooske's advice, don't panic and stay cool. Don't buy anything new yet either.

Download Adaware here.

Download Spybot here.

Two pages to look at you can use for reference, just don't advance too far without checking back for answers...

Bloodhound (from Norton's site)
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/bloodhound.html

Webhancer (two pages, read carefully!)
    http://www.cexx.org/webhancer.htm

http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/w/webhancer.asp

Remember, go with Jooske's advice and pickup Adaware and Spybot S&D.
    Run the scans as mentioned in her post, and address those IP blocks with your Norton firewall.

edit : (good idea Jooske, thanks) ;)

GF

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks for adding the links, was looking for them to edit them in later (the download links to start with! ) :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.