Please help.....

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by JPT_FOREVER, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPT_FOREVER

JPT_FOREVER Registered Member

there is something in my startup files that is making error messages pop which are then making me shut down my computer.....the startup item is "dumprep 0 -k" and the command is "%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k".....another odd looking startup item has recently popped called "RUNDLL32" with the command "RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize".....if someone could please help me get rid of what needs disposing, it would be nice to have my computer back......on a side note norton and dell T.S. were no help....THANKS!

2. Unzy

Unzy Registered Member

Hi JPT_FOREVER,

Welcome aboard :)

Those two startups you mention are not exactly baddies, although the dumprep one can be real buggy, you can disable it though! :

dumprep 0 -k

"Used in connection with memory dumps - you can disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out"

The other one (RUNDLL32.exe) you mention belongs to your NVIDIA video card, it allows to gain easy control over the options panel for your video settings. It is an unnecessary startup, but usually left alone, since no harm is done :

RUNDLL32.EXE NvQtwk, NvCplDaemon

This loads the System Tray icon used to change display settings, change the clock rate and memory speed for nVidia based graphics cards. This is unnecessary since you can easily configure these settings the way you want them in the Display Properties and not have to mess with them again.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.