PLEASE HELP wininet.dll was not found!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by drob1134, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drob1134

drob1134 Registered Member

Someone please help ... I connected my laptop to my home computer's internet and after I disconnected it, the next time i turned my laptop on it goes to the log on screen but when I click my name it begins to log on but then an error message pops up titled Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component and it says 'This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.' So I click 'OK' and all that shows up is my wallpaper. No icons on the desktop no toolbar on the bottom no start menu no nothing just my picture. I really don't have a clue what to do at all. If anyone could give me clear instructions or any tips on how to fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. drob1134

Hi thanks for the reply! How can I download it though if absolutely nothing shows up on my screen? Is there a way to download it to a CD and maybe transfer it to my laptop? My laptop just sits on my wallpaper and nothing shows up.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi drob1134,

What OS are you using and do you have the system cd handy?

GF

5. drob1134

I use Windows XP Home Edition ... it was already on it when I bought it though so I don't have the CD. And I don't see any way to fix this problem because its almost as if the laptop is in a coma state.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Would it be an option to download and burn a cd iso e.g Dr. Web, you can start the laptop with it.
    And then copy the missing file to your system?

One of the experts here could possibily answer this, I can't for sure it's just an idea.

Gerard

7. GlobalForce

"And I don't see any way ...." - Patience.

So I know which version dll, your sp1 or 2? If 2, was it brought to this state through an online update or already included as part of the OS?
    The OS is itself installed on drive C, correct?

GF

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  8. drob1134

I'm not sure what you mean by sp1 or 2. This all happened when I connected it to my home computer internet. It worked fine for that session but as soon as I turned it on the next time it did this. Yes the OS is installed on drice C.

9. GlobalForce

At the moment, pass. I'm leaving town for a few day's so will forward "what to do" in it's entirety. I'll leave it up to you to investige before proceeding to the second part here, OK. If you don't find what your looking for in the first part, abort the instruction's.

Write this all down because you won't have access to it while performing.
    Throughout what follow's pay careful attention to spacing, it's what matter's most!

Preliminaries

Execution

If the whole problem was not having that file in the proper location's, re-starting should return you Explorer.

GF

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.