Please help! - Which is the best Anti spyware/malware that is affordable?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Avail, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avail

Avail Registered Member

I am so puzzled over which program to get. Could some one please help me out on this?

I have spybot, spywareblaster, MS antispyware installed. But some spyware still get through. The nasty ones. Not always though.

Which program can someone recommend that will provide very reliable protection? Would spyware doctor be good? Would adding Regdefend and PG also help?

On line armor and Safe n sec is expensive cause you have to pay every year. Is there one like it but no subscription fee? Must be effective in providing good protection and reliable in detecting the spyware and malware.

Programs that scan with out a database like Online Armor is excellent but not sure what other programs are avaliable like it

Please help! I think I really need a program like onlinearmor and safensec but with out a sub fee but just as good as those 2 programs.

Thank you so much!
    Avail

2. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Go for Spyware Guare (FREE Real-time protection) and Arovax Shield (Free). These will take care of it!

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :cool: Maybe you can buy the full version of the latest Ewido Security Suite. It can detects many Trojans, worms, and also spywares/malwares and it also has real-time scanning monitor and the updates is fast. :)

And you can also consider Avast! Home editions Anti-virus... it has Network Shield and WebShield features w/c I think can also prevents some spywares and malwares to get in through the pc. :cool: And also, consider using Firefox browser, WinPatrol, and Windows Worm Door Cleaner. ;)

And always remember that... like in the wild.. it is already considered as a natural thing that some spywares can really get through no matter how "heavy" is your armour. But the best thing was that it can be detected and removed by your anti-spyware/s and there are lots of websites out there that will want to help you in this matter. :-*

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  4. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Indeed, Ewido Full is great. I havent got any real-time warnings in the one week I have been using it, but the on-demand scanner eliminated many nasties that Avast, Spybot, Adaware etc missed!

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

With OA, you don't need to pay every year unless you want the updates. OA will continue to work if you don't subscribe, you just won't get new features or whitelists, etc.

6. Might be a better idea to figure out how exactly it is getting through.
    Give me examples of malware that have slipped through.

What browser are you using? Is it hardened? Eg javascript,java settings.

Or is it getting through via software installations?

Sure, you could slap on more software, but you won't know if it covers the specific weak spot in your defense right now. It might, it might not.

7. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Wouldn't be using IE by chance? ;) ;)

8. considerthis

considerthis Guest

I would consider using WinPatrol, or for a bit heavier armor, try AntiHook. Both are free and sound like they would fulfill your requirements. For more free registry protection, that doesn't rely on polling, try Prevx home (free version) too.

And yeah, like the others said here, ditch IE. Try Opera or Firefox (free) for your main browser. Some people say that by switching to Firefox alone, and not using IE for their browser, they never get spyware anymore, amazing isn't it? ;) :D

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Avail,

Which anti-virus and firewall programs do you have installed? This is the place to start.

Rich

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

My sentiments exactly. As said, if indeed u are using IE, try an alternative browser. A lot of your problems will be solved by just doing that....

snowbound

11. G-Force

G-Force Guest

12. Or a IE clone.

Not if he is using stuff bundled with adware. But generally yes, I agree.

13. G-Force

G-Force Guest

He?

GF :D

14. mikkey

mikkey Guest

Ditch IE? This is the advice you give. Ditching IE will solve all your problems? You can use IE safely. Just disable activeX and scripting plus Java. Some sites don't render well in anything but IE. It will be funny once everyone goes over to Firefox, then all the Firefox holes will become evident.

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Personally, I use Firefox for all my web surfing except for Online Banking, where I have to use IE :D

Mike

16. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

you should use either netscape or something other than IE. shutting off your
    java and stuff will only decrease the browsers functionality and you internet browsing will be very dull. but Ie is very unsafe to use regularly.

17. wyrmrider

wyrmrider Registered Member

Hi
    my two cents worth
    mvps hosts or another hosts manager and ie-spyads to cut down the phone home problem
    system safety monitor or process guard pick one
    others have asked about your av and firewall- WELL?
    win patrol is good but is reactive not proactive- I use it on everything
    compared to MSAS free- CounterSPy is well worth the $20
    Also Webroot Spysweeper on sale for $15 was a great deal- solid product

If you do not want to use MSAS active protection and do not want to shell out the $20 for Couunter spy download pest patrol free FROM DOWNLOAD DOT COM
    (not pest patrol website)-free version will Scan and report but not remove anything but will provide updates and load at start up protection, optional cookie patrol, etc- great active protection within your budget :)
    also works with 98-me which MSAS does not (but CS does)
    A-squared is free anti trojan SCANNER for personal use however there is NO anti-trojan that I know of that offeres active protection for FREE
    EWIDO and Trojan Hunter are both good products both have free trials

run something like CCleaner

18. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

You could also add Arovax Shield which is free and it protects IE Hijacks, Browser Extentions, Tracking Cookies, Auto-Start, Guard Host File.

More info can be found here:

http://www.arovaxshield.com/overview.php

19. alien_ufo

alien_ufo Guest

Arovax Shield looks somewhat interesting, but it sounds like you could also use WinPatrol, which may be an inprovement over it. WinPatrol is constantly being updated and improved all the time. There really aren't enough deteails about Arovax Shield on their website to tell how powerful the app truly is.

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's what I doing too.
    Most infections are caused by your browser or emails.
    Replace MSIE6 with Firefox, replace MS Outlook with Thunderbird, use CCleaner to clean history/cookies and practice some discipline on the internet and all your scanners won't find anything anymore.
    Add a hardware/software firewall to your security and that's it.
    Security gets complicated when you start listening to everybody.

21. wyrmrider

wyrmrider Registered Member

Take a look at what EricAlbert runs at the bottom of his post
    I left out spywareBlaster
    you still have to have IE6 for some apps and windows updates- so lock it down- configure for more security- there are how toos all over the web
    Is your window fully updated?
    I use mozilla but there are some open spots with it also
    no one app will do it all

22. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

I currently use Arovax Shield which catches things my other apps miss. It doesnt seem to use much system resources.

23. Gregory

Gregory Registered Member

CounterSpy

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I could be wrong, but as far as I understand Avorax Shield seems to do the same thing as MSAS realtime + SpywareGuard.
    Based on that I ditched Avorax Shield.
    What protects against what is becoming very difficult, because none of these security softwares are PURE anymore.
    They do the same thing or they overlap eachother. Very annoying and confusing.

25. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi Erik,

I've read in a number of places that MSAS and SpywareGuard conflict...that is, if MSAS finds a spyware and tries to clean it...if one of the registry items used by the spyware is monitored by SpywareGuard, MSAS won't be able to clean the infection fully <prevented from doing so by spywareguard>.

Saw that at a couple of different sources, but sorry, was a while back, and don't think I'll be able to find the posts. Not sure if the issue has been resolved.

As for which is the best antimalware that is affordable...I think there's lots of different answers out there...but probably system/browser hardenning, with a free firewall, free antivirus, free antispywares, free antitrojan, and a couple of system monitoring tools...so it's all free.

MS also have a free tool http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...56-E3DA-42EA-857D-92B716077A84&displaylang=en Sounds a bit like a combination of adminstrator tools and Deepfreeze.

Paid tools I like : DeepFreeze (though I use ShadowUser -but DF is cheaper), and Online Armor (also 'prefer' Paid AV's, but there's plenty of info out there on them, so won't mention them)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.