Please help-Opening files and folders

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Senior Sailer, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senior Sailer

Senior Sailer Registered Member

I am using windows XP Home & IE 7.
    Despite weeks of research i am unable to understand why i cant open files & folders that i saved from web sites two months ago ...But can open the ones that i saved TODAY in those same subfiles..irispective of wether they were saved under " File Save AS" or" Page Save AS "
    Whilst i am asking for help,i do have another challenge, namley invalid file name Responses.

All advice would be appreciated ..by this Senior Sailer.

2. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

What is the error message when you try to open those files? Are there any new errors recorded in the event viewer?

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

What type of files are they ( what is their extension).

4. Senior Sailer

Senior Sailer Registered Member

Thanks Ragzarok & dbknox For your replies.

The files that i cant open are "MHTML Documents" & i have not been able to relate these failures to/or understand how to access the necessary info from the" Event Viewer".

Much the same applies to my second query ie." Invalid file name..responses "when saving web site info.

I am A genuine newbeys newbey.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

They say that knowledge is like manure- its only useful when spread around.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi SS,

The burden of saving mhtml file type's relies heavily on browser support and where page element's are stored (multiple server's common). Read an early IE7 rant or two and you'll see why there may have been problem's (though appropriately more in line with the extension's implementation). Following you'll find practical advice on saving web pages. *From here I'll be checking back should you have additional question's or need further clarification. With any luck we'll have "spread some around."

Steve

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  6. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I print my web pages as "pdf" that way I can use a "pdf reader" to read them at a later date. I used to use "CutepdF writer" for this, I now use a program called "pdfredirect" these programs use a "peudonym printer " ( I use redirect because this program allows me to append pdf pages) I then print these pages as if though I was using an actual printer and save them to my hard drive to read when ever I want. Sweet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.