Please help me with this boot up problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Texcritter, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

During boot up I get a windows logon screen with user name "Administor" with a password box. Immediately another logon Message box pops up "unable to log you on because of an account restriction"
    If I press OK it comes up with a screen with my logon account and I can start up OK.
    The problem is a lot of times the Administrator logon screen flashes up and then it goess straight to the windows start up screen and just hangs there, I have to reset and start again.
    I have checked user accounts and there is not one for the Administrator.
    However if I try to make an account for Administrator it says I can't because there is already an account with that nameo_O
    This problem started shortly after I installed a trial version of program from Greatis called RegRun gold which I have uninstalled, I have sent them an EMail but as yet have had no reply, so while Ive still got some hair left is there anybody out there who can help me.

Many Thanks.....Tex

2. dog

dog Guest

If you boot into safe mode (tap F8 during boot up) ... you'll see the default Admin account, if your using the "welcome" screen to log on. ;)

If you don't know the password for that account and you have another administrator privileged account, go into user accounts in the control panel and change/set the password to your liking.

3. Texcritter

Hi Dog

I booted up in safe mode and the Administrator account is there whilst it isn't in normal mode.
    Tried deselecting the welcome screen (didn't make any difference)
    Tried putting a password in Administrator account (this made it worse as it would not let me logon at all kept saying unable to log on because of account restriction)
    Had to reselect the welcome screen to get back on but the original problem is still there.

Tex :oops:

4. dog

dog Guest

Yes you can only access the Admin account in safe mode, if you try to log into that admin account under a normal startup you will get the error message you are getting. You can have/create another account that has administrator privileges ... but this can't of course be named "administrator".

Here's a M$ KB article that will explain what I'm saying a little better - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290109

And here's an article explaining how to create new accounts - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783/EN-US/

How many accounts do you have setup currently? It sounds as if the admin account is set to automatically logon ... does this article help at all? http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

Here's one more article explaining the differences between this account restriction between XP Pro and Home - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

5. Texcritter

Hi Dog

Yes those articles explained about Administrator only in safe mode.
    So do you know why the Administrator logon screen is appearing when I am trying to logon in normal mode?
    I have the accounts set up as per the article (guest turned off only my account with no password and welcome screen available)
    I will keep going through some of them related articles to see if I can find out
    anymore info.

Tex

6. dog

dog Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2005
  7. Texcritter

Hi Dog

Went into system properties and under user accounts it showed Administrator and my accounts so I deleted the Administrator account but this did not cure the problem.
    Went into user accounts and tried to make a new Administrator account but it still tells me there is already an account with this name....
    (Still reading articles)

Tex

8. Texcritter

Sorry its taken a while to get back in touch but my server (NTL) was down for a couple of hours, then I got the call to go and sample a few beers at my local watering hole.

PROBLEM SOLVED :D :D :D after trying various methods gained from the links you posted
    I found the cure by chance and this is how I finally did it.

I went into my user account and made it password protected (I never had one previously).
    Then I removed my password and would you believe it I rebooted and all was OK.
    Somehow a password I didn't have must have got corrupted its a bit of a mystery but who cares as all is now OK.

Thank you very much Dog *puppy* for taking time out to help me its very much appreciated

Tex

9. dog

dog Guest

That's Great Tex ... I'm glad you found the solution ... (posting your solution) should help others that may end up with the same problem. Good Work and Congrats - You should reward yourself with a few more cold ones @ your local watering hole. :D

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.