Please help me to select my final security software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fce, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

Hi guys after canceling my M1330 (which take more than a month to assemble by Dell) I ordered Asus G1S A1 and will deliver this coming Tuesday (8/21).

I'm still confuse what security I'll install in my new laptop (though i will buy this weekend Netgear Wireless N Router with Firewall). Here are my final list to choose, hope you will give me some advise as always....

1. KIS7 + Netgear Firewall Router (the only issue that stop me (for now) choosing KIS is chkdsk/iSwift issue that might "alter" my new laptop)

2. NOD32 + Netgear Firewall Router + Vista Firewall (the only issue on this security combination is NOD32 resource hog based on my experience and i dont have inbound connection with this combo). Btw there's no much firewall that are compatible to Vista.

do i need to ignore regarding KIS issue or i'm good with my 2nd choice even though i'm a high risk internet user?

thanks in advance.

hope you guys help me :)

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

NOD a resource hog? Both the router and Vista FW offer inbound protection. I presume you meant outbound protection?

Since each system is different you could make an image of the fresh system and then trial each of them. NOD and KIS, either would give you great protection IMO.

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

The truth is that whichever one of the two choices you make here will have, at best, a negligible impact on your overall security. Pick the one you like best.

4. fce

fce Registered Member

yup. outbound protection. sorry for that.

guys how about the issue re: KIS that might fvcked up my laptop in the future, do i need to ignore that issue?

also which of that two eat a lot of RAM/CPU usage based on your experience?

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just a couple of comments

1. On the router..., I tend to recommend models that can be readily outfitted with 3rd party firmware. They really tend to provide the fullest functionality. Right now I run a mix of Buffalo WHR-G54S, WHR-HP-G54, and WHR-G125 model routers. They can be obtained quite cheaply and are very flexible. Before you jump for high spec on your LAN, get a sense of where throughput bottlenecks are likely to reside now and for the next couple of years.

2. Although many users state that they can squeeze KAV/KIS performance to equal the "light" products out there, I've never been able to reach that, and it's not due to low spec machines. If you are resource footprint sensitive, be sure to trial before purchasing. If you are truly a high risk user, KAV/KIS and Avira are probably the top two choices at the moment in my experience, with differences between those and the next few barely perceptible (i.e. let's be rationale about what a few percent on these challenge tests really mean...). At this point, it's not clear whether the chkdsk issue is a combination of expected (i.e. slower step 2 due to more info to process) and infrequent (i.e. system crash while writing file ob ID's yield corruption) events or something a bit more insidious. Personally, I'd put my money on the former, although that's based on zero data and KL's initial response to the whole situation was abysmal. I continue to have a handful of systems on KAV WKS and have no plans to change...

Blue

6. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks for the comment Blue. Appreciated.

btw, my laptop is wireless N ready thats why i'm looking for Wireless N router.

I used KIS7 for two weeks and drop it off when it failed leaktest using firewalleaktester, but after searching at Kasp website, its still acceptable since PDM might improve when SP1 of Vista release....what really scared me (for now) is the issue of Kasp altering my computer.

7. flyrfan111

The chkdsk issue is the reason I suggested you make an image before trying either one. As Blue stated, it appears to be relatively rare, but that doesn't really help if you are one of the rare ones. An image would resolve the issue, just restore the image and move on. Either choice would provide excellent protection.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! Home Edition + ThreatFire = Teh win! :D

9. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hey,

well i personally would prefer nod32 over kis7 for my own laptop, it just feels more like a laptop av.

as for routers, i use a unlocked BT2700HGV which is made by 2wire, i use this simply because it offers a greater speed and greater stability for 'long line' connections,

it gives me 1mb extra speed over the netgear 108mb GT model, even though it says it syncs 'slightly slower'

also, the 2wire router holds connection much much better, even at 2db noise margin, the connection will hold all night etc.

the netgear, even though its not the N version, would give slower speeds but a higher sync, and it would become unstable around the 4db mark.

11. fce

fce Registered Member

same as Recovery of Acronis True Image?

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Your number 2 setup I am currently running on a PC and it is working great. No issues with the Netgear Router or Nod. Actually it may stay like this. Actually my router is the Netgear 834.

13. flyrfan111

Yes, or any image program was what I was refering too.

14. fce

fce Registered Member

what's CPU/RAM usage of NOD32 and Vista Firewall?

i remember KIS give me 7 to 25MB.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nod32 is about the same, but id say its slightly lighter on system response to kis7, but not much in it.

16. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks.

If that's the case KIS + Firewall Router remain my top choice for now....how about adding Acronis True Image just in case KIS really fvcked up my laptop as suggested by fryfan. Acronis is quite expensive but is it worth it or just use system restore of vista?

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sure acronis is fine, however i prefer the rollbackrx pro approach.

10 seconds and a reboot and its back to its original state, uses hardly any HD drive, my image of acronis which i used to use was 3gb, :)

so easy to uninstall a few programs maybe,

acronis i used for years, it does what it says and takes about 15 minutes to restore.

either way, both are great programs.

good luck

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Trying that later tonight... :)

19. fce

fce Registered Member

Acronis is more cheaper compare to Rollbackrx pro. I might use Acronis True Image 10 with KIS7 and Netgear Router Firewall.

Unless there's a big difference interms of performance/reliability i might consider rollbackrx pro.

20. Bls440

Bls440 Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm really looking forward to see which solution are you going to pick, because I'm facing the same dilemma (gonna get a brand new ASUS g1, I also wanna make it clean and get the best security available).

I agree with you with NOD32, so well known to be a light Antivirus, but it's not really the case (fast scanning, but the main kernel aka real time protection is heavy)

My dilema is actually, between choosing the KIS security suite (I never had any issues with it) it does a really a great job, both efficient av/fw modules.
    Don't really pay attention to the chkdsk / iswift issues, it rarely happens, most KAV/KIS users are fine and satisfied of that product.
    About the footprint, it's not that heavy, maybe equal or less than a good AV+FW Combo :)

On the other hand, I'd like to give some alternative combo, like, using Avira & Online Armor or Outpost (both very good fw solutions, but outpost is a ressource hog).

Anyways, tell me how things go with you, as I may follow your directions for my own setup ;)

Finally, as a recovery software, I can only suggest Acronis True image, VERY efficient, fast and easy to use! :)
    There are both MSDOS bootable & Windows versions according to your needs of recovering ;)

Cheers !

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  21. fce

fce Registered Member

alright buddy, just check this thread.

I just bought Netgear Rangemax Wireless N Router. I also downloaded KIS7 and save it to my USB so that when my Asus arrive this coming tuesday i'll install KIS7 first before going online.

Hope somebody will share their experience using these three security combo.....KIS7+Router Firewall + (FD-ISR or Acronis True Image 10 or Rollbackrx pro)

This Forum helps me a lot choosing my security software. Thanks to all wilders member who share their experience :)

22. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

C.S.J.,

Currently using TI but was curious about how large each snapshot in rollbackrx is. If your drive is 10GB, is a snapshot also 10GB or does rollbackrx just take snapshots of the changes?

TIA

23. fce

fce Registered Member

after searching re: FD-ISR I found this note (see below) from Horizon DataSys Inc....can somebody confirm if there's conflict between KIS and FD-ISR?

I might settle with KIS7 + (Netgear)Firewall Router + FD-ISR. :)

Is FirstDefense-ISR compatible with my anti-virus software?
    FirstDefense-ISR is fully compatible with most modern anti-virus applications.

We have found that Kaspersky Labs Anti-Virus adds a data attribute to the user's source files. This modification of the user's source files is against our integrity checks and thus Kaspersky Labs Anti-virus should not be installed for FirstDefense-ISR to fully protect your system. We have notified Kaspersky Labs, since any application performing file integrity checks may cause problems.

24. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Well, I used KIS with FD ISR without any problems for approx. one year. Mind you I had another bothering problem which was the chkdsk issue, that's the reason I decided to change my AV

25. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I'm using KIS 7 + FDISR + Acronis True Image 10 together with my D-Link DIR-655.
    Haven't experienced the slightest problem with it, apart from a weird message which keeps popping up about FDISR's MBR update. :doubt:

I don't use chckdsk, so I don't experience the problem others could have with KAV/KIS.
    Works great here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.