Please Help me permanently disable the firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by CurtTampa, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CurtTampa

CurtTampa Registered Member

Is there any way to permanently disable the Eset firewall. My customer is about to throw out Eset and me. It is Constantly disconnecting our telnet sessions and breaking access to network drives (which crashes what ever program they are running). It’s driving the NUTS!. When I set it up I used the setting to allow sharing in the protection mode (for offices). When I temporarily disable the firewall, every thing works normal. This is my last hope. Our office sites behind a hardware firewall. We do not need a firewall

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

then use EAV

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Do you need the anti-spam part of ESET Smart Security ? If you don't - then use ESET NOD32 Antivirus instead of ESET Smart Security (as suggested by proactivelover)

If you need the antispam part , read this and create rules in Policy-based/Interactive mode to all the traffic in and out. This should be equal to disabling the firewall - permanently.

4. CurtTampa

We purchased the 'Business' versions. Are you saying I can un-install them and use the same user name and password for the "Antivirus' Only versions?
    If so, I'll have that done ASAP.

5. patch

patch Registered Member

That's how it works with the personal version. Easiest way is see if the username & password allow you to download nod32

6. RJurjevic

RJurjevic Registered Member

You can disable the Firewall (it should not be difficult to figure out how for yourself) but it looks like there is always a trade-off between security and convenience.

I've recently installed a network backup solution on our home machines and that required some Firewall configuration.

Automatic mode may block most of the traffic you would wish to allow. You switch to Interactive mode and little by little allow traffic for the trusted applications (you may find some applications on your computers you did not know about and wish to uninstall). Then you switch to Policy based mode (which is basically Automatic mode plus all the custom rules you have defined in Interactive mode).

An alternative is to switch-off the Firewall permanently, but I would just like to mention that I wouldn't be here if I hadn't had some sleepless nights removing viruses, Trojan horses, and who knows what kind of threats, which had caused us so much trouble recently (was not using ESET at the time). Therefore, I personally find it easier to configure the Firewall and reduce the risk of future intrusions (it may be quite difficult to remove some threats once they are infiltrated). :)

More technical details at... https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=222871

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  7. CurtTampa

This Firewall is raking Havoc with my customer's network. Programs aborting in the middle of updates of files over a network is Un-Acceptable. It is an 8 person office. The owner is ready to abandon this product completely. There Is no way to Permanently disable the firewall. It re-activates itself on reboot and the users tell me other times, they fine it as reactivated itself. It’s Got to Go. No matter any consequences.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ESET Smart Security is a whole-in-one solution that ensures complete protection . You have purchaned it to have a complete protection . Disabling a single module doesn't ensure complete protection . Having no firewall downgrades the protection level - for sure .

You seem to not read what have been suggested . You were told to use Policy-based mode , which will not disable the firewall (normally because ESS was made to protect users , not to have modules disabled) but will ensure that all the selected traffic is allowed.

Additionally , if you want to
    because your ESS license allows downgrade to ESET Antivirus .

9. ToeRag

ToeRag Registered Member

I'm having trouble getting ESET Personal firewall to work with LogMeIn

I'm trying to get configured with rules and exceptions, but each time I get the pop-up to allow, I allow, but the next time I try to REMOTE CONTROL the destop with LogMeIn .. I get additional pop-ups and the REMOTE CONTROL hangs from the client side.

Is there a specific set of rules & ports to open - SETUP info page for LogMeIn?

If I turn the firewall off it works fine.

10. CurtTampa

Re: Please Help me permanently disable the firewall-Solution

Many Thanks to the user who suggested removing Smart Security and Installing Just the AV. I have a happy customer now.

btw: I Did read all the messages, I chose not to attempt to try to identify every windows application that needs network access to function properly. I Thought that was the purpose of 'Sharing' was so the firewall would permit normal file sharing and other activities within the same subnet. Guess Not....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.