Please help me make a decision!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jon_fl, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I just finished trying Norton Antivirus 2007 for a couple of days, it was the first time I ran a Norton product since the 2003 version, I must say, it was impressive, if you haven't given it a test drive, I would highly recommend you do, then decide for yourself, which you like better...

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I can relate to that and have had similar problems with the 2003,2001 and i think 2001 versions. the live update used to fail about once a month and had to uninstall that component. Norton home versions are geared towards people who dont know what there doing with pc's and not with people who post on this type of forum. there are way better alternatives out there. kaspersky,nod32,antivir etc.
    if f-secure didnt slow my pc down and didnt cause blue screens i would keep it.
    in the end its do you want to use this product on your pc for one year?
    i made my choice and im gonna install antivir suite when ive got time to install it properly and wont rush it.
    lodore

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i'll agree with this, as all the problems lodore mentioned in the above post have all been fixed now, for the latest 2007 version.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so the live update problem has been fixed?
    When you uninstall it all the traces are gone?
    its quite light?
    it still has the rubbish interface and no settings to change, as I said target market is home users that just wanna use the pc and let the security sort itself out.
    if you on these forums I would sergest looking else where thou.

can someone post the number of processes and ram usage and virtual ram?
    I know this might be not useful information but i would still like to see it.
    you can gimmie a free license to the Symantec corp version 10 anyday:D
    but the home versions are not for for me
    lodore

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ram usage is only 30-odd mb ram.

yes live update problem is fixed,

no all traces are not cleared from registry, but neither does NOD32 / kaspersky / bitdefender etc etc, when you un-install it, and norton leaves more traces as its a much bigger program than that of nod32.

the latest norton now has no un-installation issues as previous versions,

36.9 mb ram usage
    5 processes

nod is 17.1mb and 2 processes, which i think is too much for just an antivirus program, when compared to the 'suite' of norton.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Lodore,

Don't forget to change your signature.

Gerard

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You have one of the industry leaders! I would stick with it. If you're willing to pay for an AV.:blink:
    Me personally, i'm happy with Avast! for now, and i'm only willing to pay for Prevx1.
    But as far as AV goes, NOD32 is maybe the best:thumb: , according to user's posts here.

8. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I agree with C.S.J...

Norton has improved in all areas, uninstall is a breeze, a whole lot better then it use to be, the removal tool just tidies up the odds and ends, update works flawlessly, the 2007 version ran exceptionally well on my laptop with 512 MB Ram, actually, I could not find anything in this program that would keep me from using it myself or recommending it to others, newsgroup myths about Norton, the ones everyone repeat over and over, its' bloated, it's a resource hog, etc. can be put to rest now. Norton has done a 180 with this program, and they did it in the right direction. And the GUI is ten times better then the Nod32 GUI, in my opinion. It's very user friendly and professional looking, everything you need access to is right there.

9. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I have to say that overall I thought the 2007 version was definately a big improvement. It did run fairly light for a norton suite but live update issues have not been completely fixed. I know this from experience with the 2007 suite on both mine and my wife's computers. If you also have other scamantec products like save & restore, well you will be out of luck as the SC are different versions and things will not even show up correctly in the updates listing. You can go nuts trying to resolve this. I eventually did but it took me hours to find a way and as far as I can tell there is only one certain install sequence that can be done for it to work. Anyway there is also the fact that they are deactivating license keys after a few re-installs to sell more licenses. I have experience with this too as I had to fight for a refund after they deactivated my valid key with still over a year of time left on it.

As I said the product seems decent but the company is shameless. Also for what it may be worth to some here, I have since removed all scamantec products and replaced them. I am now using Mcafee again and my wife is still running here NIS 2007. I feel my Mcafee suite is more responsive sufing web sites than the NIS was and I do not have weird shutdown errors like my wife gets from time to time with NIS. I used to get the same thing when it was on my PC as well, something about not being able to read something in memory message for nortons. No big deal really but still an annoyance. Also the Mcafee site advisor is a pretty cool little utility as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose but my advice is stay away from scamantec as their practices and policies are by far the worst out ther even if their product is fair.

10. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

It's hard to admit this on a public forum, but I actually like NIS 2007. It works great on my computer, and has served me well. Heck, I even like the interface. Whew, I feel better now!

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dont worry I wont
    atm its accurate because it shows my current setup and whats coming soon.
    lodore

12. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I used to like Avira untill it couldnt remove a trojan AVG suite..new one did it for me Now im happy with it AVG :D

13. yeta17

yeta17 Registered Member

Hi all,

If i beleve the last windows news F-secure I.S. seams to be a good product.
    Beter than norton I.S. 2007, kasperky, bitdefender,nod32, mcafee and bullgard.

regards

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure maybe a good protector but slows down the pc to much.
    the 2007 version is a bit buggy atm and causing boue screens every so often.
    lodore

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hmm i dont understand this blue screen thing, i think maybe your machine?

ive never had blue screens from f-secure and cant seem to see others mentioning it, maybe your machine just didnt like it.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

maybe but i did say that in the past spyweeper 5.0 and further versions cause blue screens so it could be spysweeper instead. someone a while back did say when they installed f-secure 2007 it caused a blue screen right away so they uninstalled it. if its spysweeper causing my blue screens im sorry for blaming f-secure. but the fact that f-secure is my only active secuiety program and spysweeper's processes are just running and not doing anything because i told it not to start at start up and turned off shields.#
    lodore

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

interesting,

i also got blue screens and shutdowns with spysweeper, ripped it out and fine... but thats was over 6 months ago.

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

SpySweeper didn't by any chance remove BackWeb when you used F-Secure lodore?

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so im guessing its the new spy sweeper 5.2 because the spysweeper processes are always running because theres no point in stopping them really because i would other wise have to enable them to do on demand scanning.

lodore

20. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Yup the new Avira Security Suite is also lightweight. Its firewall is also good.

Aside from that, a charity work of 5euro is inclusive in the payment to help the Auerbach foundation...

21. CtlAltDelete

CtlAltDelete Registered Member

How do you obtain this 50% discount for migration?

I answered my own question........found it here:

http://www.freedrweb.com/migrate/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  22. CtlAltDelete

CtlAltDelete Registered Member

23. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi CtlaltDelete,
    If you go to drweb.com. and click on ( Buy Dr.Web. ) it will explain everything.
    Badcompany.:thumb:

24. Peak

Peak Registered Member

Norton is always weak in Trojan detection,and too conservative to deal with malicious softwares.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah, you know what im gonna say.

your comment is UTTER RUBBISH!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.