Please help me make a decision!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jon_fl, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I currently have NOD32, which needs to be renewed, and LnS. I am thinking of going to NIS 2007. It's getting great reviews. What should I do? Please be objective and unbiased.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

in the end its up to you but i would say if you didnt have any problems with nod32 renew it because i think its better than norton 2007 but this is my opinion.

any reasons for getting rid of nod32?
    lodore

3. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have NIS 2005 at work, and it seems to work well. With the reviews of 2007, it appears to be a great product. Plus, it's a security suite and I kind of like that idea. I really could go either way at this point though.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well I have to point out that ive never really liked the Norton interface its to flashy and a marketing devise telling you to buy all Norton products to be completely safe. I would use nod32 over Norton any day of the week.

lodore

5. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Personally, I will renew NOD32 since you get a renewal discount rather than pay in full for NIS.
    IMO, NOD32 and LnS are a perfect match. So don't change if there's no problem.

6. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

@ jon_fl Download NIS 2007 Trial give it a spin and give us some feedback with your conclusion.

I have trialled NIS 2006 andf thought it was a huge improvement compared to the previous versions, I really liked the firewall. The only downside for me was it's update function.

btw my recommendation would be a freeware setup, i.e either Avast Home or ActiveVirusShield with Comodo Firewall.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

There are rebates that sometimes make the cost of NAV free.
    I do not think it is arguable that it is an excellent AV regarding detection.
    Give it a try and see.

I would keep NOD.

Jerry

8. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Nod32 all the way. Online Armor as supplement (is coming with a firewall soon)!
    Second choice: Avira Internet Security Suite (new)!!

9. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

I have had security suites in the past, but i have gone back to stand alone.I now have Dr.Web. AV and Comodo FW.If you migrate to Dr.Web you will receive a 50% discount.Both of these programs are set and forget, Just perfect.
    Badcompany.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Personally if it was me, I would save some money and get the new suite by Avira. Better detection rates then Kas and a lot cheaper.

11. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I would say if you were ok with NOD32 stay with ityou get free upgrades to new versions when they are released, it is a very good product. I was unable to use NOD due to a conflict with musicmatch(mim.exe), everytime NOD saw mim.exe for whatever reason cpu resources would spike and nor come back to normal until i disabled mim, still waiting to see if there will be some kind of fix for it since i want to try NOD32 v3 suite.

Im not sure about now but I know with norton in order to get the new version you had to pay for upgrades.

I see here nobody has told you about what i feel is the best product in my opinion which is Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 (KIS 6.0), also KIS has free upgrades to new products also as long as your license is valid of course, anyway if you go to a website such as AV-comparatives you can see the latest detection rates of all the top products, see link below.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

also if you are interested in KIS, outpost.com has it basically for free until 11/7/06 using a mail in rebate, see link below:

http://shop3.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=kaspersky&cat=

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

While it may run well on you work PC (probably Corporate vers.) Another thing to consider hardware configuration. Processor and memory are a couple things that can enter into the performance factor.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you want an unbiased comment,

i dont use both of what you stated, but id choose norton IS 2007 anyday over what you had to offer.

the latest from norton is great, and its no longer a resource hog (and lets face it, this was most peoples arguments about older versions)

the new interface is much better and its a set it and forget it suite, no settings are needed to change from installation.

try the trial, and test it.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im sorry but the norton interface is rubbish i have seen it and other interfaces are better. my fav av interface has to be kaspersky no doubt.
    people and mags always say how good norton interface is but it is rubbish.
    you cant change settings because there simply isnt any. iIthink they should have all the options the corp version has then maybe then would try it.

I would never reccomend products I wouldn't be willing to use on my pc's. i would be willing to use nod32,kaspersky,bitdefender,antivir not in any order. this mean i couldnt reccomend norton ever.
    but the interface is rubbish of norton. btw give me a link to the review of norton by pc mag again please so i can tell you what is wrong with the interface
    lodore

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The answer to the question of going with NOD or NIS2007 is simple.
    You are the one that has to live with the program that you choose.
    The best thing to aid you in this decision is to try NIS2007 and compare that to your experience with NOD.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the questions is would you really want a product on your computer called norton by symantec for one whole long year?

or would you prefer to keep nod32?

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well its set on max all the time, i think this is a good thing, just because you like to tinker with settings, does not mean this is a bad thing.

as for the interface, i like it .. and many others do, but understand some people wont.

but i think, norton suite would work out cheaper, its detection rate would be better and the norton firewall is a whole lot better than that LnS poo-poo.

where is that little green man when you need him. :D

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

has the new norton sudden got a firewall that works?
    the one in 2003 version i blocked a program once and took me ages before i could unblock it because it so badly designed under the so called good interface.
    the options at least in 2003 where really advanced for the firewall and uneeded.
    lodore

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Making a beta key I hope.:rolleyes:

20. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Nod32 and Avira seem to be detecting the ITW trojans like the zlobs more. That shouldn't be the determining factor, but unless NIS runs better than NOD, I'd choose NOD. NOD also has better heuristics.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

plus its easier to uninstall and doesnt leave stuff on your system.

unless symantec sells norton to a company that makes good products its not gonna be on my system. the only activate it 12 times means symactec it up to its old tricks.
    am i right in thinking that me and some other people believe that symantec ruined Norton?
    lodore

22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

My computer came with NIS 2005, and I wonder if it's the cause of some of the incompatibilities I've had. I've tried the cleaners.

That said, NIS 2007 seems easier to get running and does use fewer processes.

23. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I don't use NOD or Norton.
    But if this particular user is interested in possibly switching, he has to see for himself and judge what he thinks of it.

24. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

Best answer so far in this thread. :thumb:

You got to try it first. Dont take too much account of what people say regarding interface. COz when it comes to the interface, you be the judge of that. youll be clicking on it, not someone else.

25. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I would never consider Norton again, it was the first suite I bought (2006 version) and it completely messed up my computer. Everytime I would start up my computer, an error message would come up, my computer would be slower than heck, and I personally think Norton ruined my cd/dvd drive and I had to replace it. I wasted more than $100 buying the suite and systemworks, so no matter if it's "lighter" they have software to give you nightmares at night, and would never want to go through installing and uninstalling like 20 times, which Norton products are famous for too. You can trial Norton, but beware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.