Please help. Just installed NOD, can't get it working

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ejr, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I upgraded from my my trial version to the commercial version. I did one computer last night, the other today. Using Blackspears settings for beginners. The computer I did today is not working. I have now installed NOD32 twice with the same results each time.

I can't seem to get NOD to scan my hard drives. Every time I try, the scan only takes a minute or so and I get the following:

Scan performed at: 12/11/2005 15:35:14 PM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.1318 (20051211) NT
    Command line: /local /adware /ah /all /arch+ /clean /cleanmode /delete /heur+ /log+ /mailbox+ /ntfs+
    /pack+ /quarantine /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /scanmem+ /scroll+ /sfx+ /unsafe /wrap+
    Operating memory - is OK
    MBR sector of the 2. physical disk - Error reading disk sector
    MBR sector of the 3. physical disk - Error reading disk sector
    MBR sector of the 4. physical disk - Error reading disk sector

Date: 11.12.2005 Time: 15:35:16
    Scanned disks, folders and files: C:; D:

I set up my other computer identically and am not having problems. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This computer has a memory card reader attached to it, or a printer plugged into it with a memory card reader, without a disk inserted, and that's the error message that you are seeing.

Cheers :D

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Yes, I have a card reader. Thank you on that. However, I can't get the program to SCAN. My scheduled scan scans zero files. It say's "cleaning" no matter how long I wait. But it doesn't scan any files.

I have a screenshot I could email. I don't know how to post it.

4. Blackspear

Are you running a "Silent Scan?", in which case dependant upon your drive and data size, it will be a while before you see results...

Just save the screenshot as a .gif and when you are posting you will see (just below "submit reply") manage attachments, click on this and attach the file...

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

What program must you use to save something as a .gif?

I don't have MS Office. But I do use Open Office.

I hit the "print screen" button, but don't know how to save it in the gif format.

6. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

Blackspear...

i too have a memory card reader installed... but why is it showing only three physical disk error? my memory card reader shows four drives under explorer...

thanks and sorry for hijacking this thread...

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Blackspear...I am making progress. I couldn't get the "weekly scan of all drives: to scan via "execution of an external application".

However, the silent scan does appear to be functioning (just set that up and it is running now). While that is running, I went in and deleted the weekly scan and rescheduled it. Will try that as soon as the silent scan is done and will let you know.

By the way, I am getting ready to send you a PM.

10. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

before hitting printscreen, press the ALT key and hold it, then press printscreen. this way, you'll only save the active application's screenshot and not the whole desktop.

then go to MSPaint and paste it then save as either GIF or JPEG...

11. ejr

ejr Registered Member

OK...The silent scan worked. But the weekly scan using execution of an external application does not. It says that it is cleaning...but no files get scanned. Attempting to attach the screen shot I saved.

Attached Files:

12. ejr

ejr Registered Member

MORE INFO: In the ESET file on my machine where NOD is functioning correctly is a file named NOD32.exe.

On the computer that is not functioniong correctly this file is named NOD32 (without the exe extention).

13. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Maybe your computer is infected by a malware. Try to scan your computer using safe mode.

14. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

Would it be possible you forgot to UNcheck the option "hide known file extension" in Folder Options ?

15. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Not certain, can you be more specific? Where is "Folder Options"?

16. ejr

ejr Registered Member

OK...I emailed my sales rep to see what he might have to say. He did not reccomend even using the "execution of an external application function". He recomended the following:

(START OF HIS ADVICE)

To set up a scheduled scan you must:

Open the Control Center

Drop down system tools

Click Schedule/Planner

Click the Add button

Drop down the choices to NOD32 on demand scanning

This will walk you through when and how you wish your scan to occur. The execution of an external application is for administrators who wish to run scripts to perform certain things within the NOD32 kernel.

It is not for setting up a scheduled scan.

(END OF HIS ADVICE)

However, his advice does not alleviate my concerns. On one machine, the execute an external application function is working. On the other machine, it is not. Is this a program flaw? If this part of the program does not work correctly, how can I be assured that the others are?

I did not have this problem with the trial version on either machine.

I did a spyware scan with Trend and Spybot. I did a on demand virus scan. I did another virus scan with Bit Defender 8. I'm pretty certain there is no malware on that machine.

If any of you have additional troubleshooting suggestions, I am all ears.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Speaking for myself, I would uninstall NOD one more time, delete the Eset folder in program files, reinstall NOD, and restart your computer. Don't put any command lines in and see if it runs normally.

18. ejr

ejr Registered Member

If you believe this to be the best course of action, then I wil do it. However, what I want to know is what will we learn form doing this?

If I unistall/reinstall and it appears to function normally (without testing out the execution of an external application function), what next?

Am I worrying about nothing?

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

:D Just a suggestion. I was going by what you posted.
    If NOD appears to run normally, then you can use the rest of the suggestions provided by your sales rep.

You might want to list the programs you use on your machines. Are they the same, etc?

20. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Ronjor,

I didn't intend to insult you with my reply. I am definitely grateful that you are offering your assistance. I'm just a tad frustrated after 3 hours of troubleshooting :)

The on demand scanner is definitely functioning correctly. I'm just troubled that the same exact settings on 2 different machines are yielding different results.

On both machines I run:

1. Windows XP Home Edition 2002, SP2
    2. Spybot
    3. Zone Alarm Free
    4. Nod 32
    5. Locked Hosts file (same file on each machine)
    6. I had Bit Defender 8 on eacgh machine but uninstalled while troubleshooting

Main difference?

Machine 1 (with no problems) is a Pentium 4

Machine 2 is AMD 64

The really strange part is that the trial version functioned identically on both machines using Blackspears settings. But the commercial version is not. I'm thinking that either:

1. There is a bug in the program or
    2. I did somethign wrong on install which I cannot see.

21. SSK

SSK Registered Member

One extra question: did you download / install the 64bit compatible version of NOD32 for your AMD64 machine?

22. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I think you may be on to something. No, I did not donload the 64 bit version.

That will be my next move.

I'll let you know.

Thank you :)

23. Blackspear

Just remember to remove the Eset folder from C Drive> Program Files after you have uninstalled the current version.

24. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Oh yeah, couldn't forget that. Between installing the trial version on both machines (more than once) and the commercial version on one machine 3 times, I've got the un-install down!

By the way, PROBLEM SOLVED (yes!!!!!!!!).

I had the 32 bit version installed on a 64 bit machine. Question along those lines. If the 64 bit is compatible to a 32 bit machine, why not just sell the 64 bit product?

25. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Good to see the problem is solved! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.