Please help interpret this trace

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by spj, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spj

spj Registered Member

Hi!
    I am sure this is NOT the place to post this inquiry, but I did so well with a previous one that I'll post it anyway.
    Here's the problem: I recently moved from a DSL to a Cable modem. The Cable modem is connected to a Vonage Phone Adaptor (192.168.102.1) which is connected to a NetGear WNDR3300 router (10.0.0.1), which in turn is connected physically to 3 computers (besides two occasional wireless). Everything was working fine while in DSL, but now anytime the computers are idle for a period of time I get disconnected, specially at night when the only thing that is active is uTorrent. Re-connection is easy, I just have to unplug the Vonage Adaptor and plug it back after 10 seconds.
    So, what's 192.168.233.14? What happens from hop 2 to hop 4? And after that, why such high %loss?
    My service provider "provides support only if the modem is connected directly to one computer". Vonage says it's a problem with the quality of the connection. They're probably right, I just did a pingtest.net to a server close to Google in San Francisco and got an F!
    I am attaching the VisualRoute graph and the pingtest image and hope to get from some of you much more knowleadgable people ideas on how to improve this situation, what to say and/or demand from my service provider (it's supposed to be the GOLD! plan...).
    Thank you, sincerely appreciate any guidance.

Attached Files:

2. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

You seem to have some extra traffic also you have OpenDns, are you doing P2P or gaming?
    I just ran this pingtest.net stuff which is part of speedtest.net group. I got this..

Attached Files:

3. spj

spj Registered Member

I only do torrents with uTorrent, which is active permanently.
    Your pingtest is 100 mi, mine is 5900 mi. Maybe that's one reason why they are so different?

4. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I am on the DL box with is BT or torrent as you call it. This system is tweaked for network buffers and security is max. Gig to Gig and using max connection. Still I don't use uTorrents I find that to be slow and lousy! I always stick with Java client base Azureus prior versions not this crap with Vuze junk! I only keep one Java Client update and remove all the rouge java clients that don't seem to go away even with updates. SunMicro needs to get on the ball there.

Anyway why are you using OpenDNS with torrents I would never go that route. I did test one and boy what huge security risk. Still everyone has the right to use whatever they want though. Hope your using PG2 or PB to keep out those Bad IPs are you? Your ISP is in Chile don't know what your rules are there, but I guess your distance ping is greater than mine is.

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

5500 Miles.. And it still ends up better.

333941.png

Otherwise it ends up like this.

334375.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.