Please help! Alert from TDS-3

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by kohryu6, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kohryu6

kohryu6 Registered Member

okay, to start off... today there was a thunderstorm in my area and i couldnt use the computer for some time. During that time there was a power outage for a very short time. When the storm cleared, I turned on my computer to find that it took WAY longer to load than usual (was on the XP welcome screen for 30 seconds).

As well, one of my programs stopped functioning. It is called ASUSprobe and it came with my motherboard as a utility to monitor heat and fan speeds. It just gave an error that it couldnt load into memory (or something like that). Now, I'm not sure if the storm had anything to do with this (the surge could have damaged my RAM).

I started up TDS-3 and it gave me a warning that something was changed in the startup registry or something. I then scanned with TDS-3 and it said: -ALERT- File has changed: C:\WINDOWS\System32\shell32.dll

Can someone please help me with my situation? Im not sure if this is serious or not, so any information would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, Kohryu6! When was the last time you ran a CRC32 check? The reason I ask is that my shell32.dll changed, among many others, when I updated Windows a week or so ago.

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Also in regards to the first alert about something changing in the Start-up... that would be because that program you said stopped working, which I presume would auto-start with windows, and this caused you to see TDS alert that something changed. [ie: This program did NOT start up]

Unfortunately at this stage, you cannot determine *what* was changed, unless you are very familiar with Auto Start [in TDS Ctrl A] Startup Folders.

Next version I believe that whatever was changed, it's going to be viewable, so you can see exactly what it was. ;)

TAS

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Good point, TAS. One thing I would like to point out regarding the auto-startup. Last week when I downloaded the 3.5MB of Windows patches, those patches added something temporarily to my auto-startup. Both Webroot SpySweeper and TeaTimer (Spybot) detected a change. I allowed the change, but it was automatically deleted on reboot (it's no longer there). Probably has something to do with the installation of the patches. o_O

5. kohryu6

kohryu6 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I just uninstalled the asus thing (I didnt need it much) and now my computer boots up normal). Its still odd how it suddenly stops working...

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi kohryu6, As you say, Asus probe is a progamme supplied with your mother board and can sometimes be a bit "iffy" IMHO - I have found that a visit to Asus site and your particular MB support section you will probably find an updated version of probe, whilst you'r there check to see if there is also a BIOS update as these can make a tremendous difference in your PC's performance. :)

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.