Please explain log

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by dallen, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I run Process Guard by Diamond CS and I recently downloaded, and ran, Lavasoft’s VX2 Cleaner plug-in. I noticed something very strange in my Process Guard log. I'm going to paste it below and I know that it is going to be long, but I want someone to tell my why Ad-aware is doing what it's doing. Here it is:

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Dallen,

That activity is quite normal for any scanner-type application or applications that poll processes to gather process statistics. You can ignore it. On my system I set Adaware to be allowed Write, SetInfo, Terminate and Suspend and that way I do not get flooded with the log entries since it is a known safe program.

Hope this helps

Dan

3. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Thanks Dan Perez. I figured that Ad-aware is safe because I trust the developers at Lavasoft. The only reason that I was mildly suspicious is that the log never showed any entries under my current configuration until right after I installed the VX2 Cleaner plug-in and ran it. So...logically I was a bit suspicious of the plug-in, although not really worried. I can easily make the configuration adjustments to allow Ad-aware those privilages. I just wanted to make sure.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dallen, To augment what Dan has stated, AdAware is usually a non active program except when run. I assume by adding the addin you are giving AdAware an always on active component. I use Lavasofts's AdWatch which also has an always running component which I have to give the necessary allows to stop excessive logging.

Pilli :)

5. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Pilli,
    Actually, the plug-in is an on-demand component. The only time the log would go crazy was when I initiated the plug-in. I've since, changed the privilages associated with Ad-aware and all is well.

I also use Ad-watch and I've included it in PG's list of protected programs. However, I've noticed that the only "allow" privilages that it needs to run quietly are "Get info" and "Read."

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I'll have to take a look at the VX2 component to see what it does ;)

Yep, allow only what is necessary.

Cheers. Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.