Please evaluate my security suite

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ejr, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

1. NOD32 for antivirus/antimalware
    2. On-line Armor for HIPS and antimalware
    3. Comodo Firewall
    4. Syware blaster for spyware prevention

All in all I feel very scecure with this setup. The antivirus rarely misses a virus. Active X is pretty much totally defeated by OA. Between OA and NOD I feel that I am not really all that succeptible to trojans. The Comodo Firewall is rock solid, fully stealthed and leak proof.

Any obvious holes in my suite? I feel like Fort Knox.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

looks pretty good to me. maybe some on demand antimalware scanners like a squared free.

also if not already use anternate browser, firefox or opera.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you feel like fort knox, that's what's important.
    Mrk

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my pc feels like fort knox to but its slowed down dut to f-secure. so i will have a lighter fort knox soon

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't mean to press any opinion, but just by using alternative browser, you will have made a huge step. If you cut down on IE and similar MS packages, you will wondrously fort-knox your pc even without explicit security software.
    Lodore, you seem to be using FF + Noscript, that's fairly enough.
    Mrk

6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

There is feeling like Fort Knox, then there is actually havibg that tight of a security suite. I wish I knew for sure (even though more than likely I already have more than I need, I don't have dangerous surfing habits).

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Maybe try one of the alternative browsers;
    Opera,Firefox,or K-Meleon.

A free scanner like SUPERAntispyware,A-Squared,or Ewido.

8. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

You have a good software base.

I would add a router or hardware firewall at the front end, that would double your gold in Fort Knox.

As long as your software firewall is 2 way coverage checking what goes out as well. If not replace it.

No AV or AMW gets better than 60%. So just cause you find zero on scans doesn't mean you are secure. Other have said add on demand AV and AMW to increase you chances of catching them and I agree 100%

What about a rootkit hunter? what about a cleaning tool? CCleaner?

To be 100% sure on internet, disconnect!

Good start,good luck

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Oh yes...I am also:

1. Behind a router whioch stealths all ports including port 113
    2. I use Ccleaner...great utility
    3. My firewall is inbound and outbound and passes all leak tests

Thanks for the input!

10. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

You guys seem to have a good set up. Just wanted to say that I was surfing on the web today with firefox, thanks to GSS it caught some a.exe file from lauching while I was browsing it even shut my browser down when sumtin in memory was trying to run in firefox heheh. Yeah ejr thats a good thing you got that online armor I believe it would detect just about anything if somthing tried launch on your system that could cause you problems.

11. Escalader

Just some comments and questions :

I am getting ready to test my security system (setup for techies)

I found out that if you are behind a router like we are the probbe test is meaningless since you probe the router NOT your software system.

So you have to remove/bypass the router to do the tests.

I don't know if this is the same for leak testing.

What tool(s) did you use? recommend?

12. yankinNcrankin

Best way to test your set up in my opnion is to do real life stuff and go surfing the forbidden sites :D before you do that you better have a back up of your current set up as an Image or some other recovery software. Sorry man I really dont know of any GOOD tester programs that come close to the real life scenario so I cant make the recommends for it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  13. Escalader

Not to worry, I have a vast list of testing programs just thought you might have done that.

It's only my view but to just hit the dark side and rely on backup isn't the way of thinking I learned in systems. Test first then go live. Have you tested your backup? If not you are making a very dangerous assumption.

There are real complete testing service that will tell you what ports you have open that need closing etc.

Then, and only then will I fly my airplane into the internet thunderstorm!

14. yankinNcrankin

LOL Escalader sounds like you the one making an asssumption. Next time I say something I'll be extra SPECIFIC as to avoid your remarks LOL. Have I tested my back up LOL thats a good 1. It's only my view but to just hit the dark side and rely on backup isn't the way of thinking I learned in systems.
    LOL another good 1 ! You obviously have no clue as to what I suggested. All I was saying if you really wanna test a system use real world situations but be sure you can recover from a CRASH or worse if it ever happens that you get breached and unable to SANITIZE ! LOL I guess Escalader you never heard of FDISR or Ghost 2003? Before you go quoting you better read my previous post. LOL you talking about ports I could care less of ports that need to be closed already taken cared of. Im more interested on the prevention of vulnerabilities that can be exploited while you use or not use your computer with an ACTIVE Internet connection, which Im sure is what ejr is hoping that his set up will prevent such vulnerabilities. Oh yeah and those vast list of testing programs is nothing compared to a real hacker trying to mess with you for venturing into areas you shouldnt have been venturing, the methods used cannot and should not be compared to those programs you speak of, "REAL LIFE SCENARIOS" in uncontrolled enviornments is a real test for any security set up. I cant imagine relying on some program(S) to test my set up LOL. May work for you but not me

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  15. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I think you've choosen the best apps ejr. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.