Please comment on this setup

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CesiaS, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

I'm connected to internet through a Netcomm NB5Plus4 ADSL2+ router with SPI and have NOD32 installed.

My security requirements are as follows:
    My adult son will be staying with me for several month and using my computer.
    I'm reasonably experienced but would find dealing with rule based firewall (like Jetico) a bit daunting.
    I will be away for a month or so and need to set up my PC in such a way that it will work well ( ie not accidentally block access to internet because of an error in setting) and stay protected

I figure out that as far as firewall goes I need one that

1. passes leaktests, since inbound control is handled by SPI router. So ZAP , Jetico or Comodo with default settings -as tested at matousek.com should be enough.
    2. is simple to use and easy to review its settings ( so I can check if my son accidentally relaxes the settings)
    3. either has HIPS or works well with HIPS software.

I installed a try version of ZAP 7.0.This seem to work well on my PC . but seems to slow my computer a bit. Up to now I had ZA free.

Question - If I had ZA free and separate HIPS ( which o_O) would my PC be likely to work faster but stay protected ? I do not mind paying for a software, I just want a hassle free , secure solution

Thank you
    CesiaS

2. ejr

ejr Registered Member

You could try:

1. ZA Free version 6.something. I have seen many people complain about ZA free version 7 but have heard good things about previous versions. Or try Comodo.

2. Cyberhawk would be a good free hips or Spyware Terminator

3. Download Sandboxie. Either teach your son to only open IE through Sanboxie or pay the $25 so that you can force IE to open in the sanbox evety time it is launched (one time fee). Then simply teach your son to empty the sandbox after every browsing session.

You should be pretty well protcted.

3. Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Dr. Lucien Sanchez Registered Member

I'd probably recommend Comodo as the firewall and System Safety Monitor as your HIPS, SSM has a free version.

4. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try them.
    Are you saying to use both 2 and 3 or choose one (2 or3) of the suggestions? At present I also have Windows Defender and Javacool SpywareGuard running and SpywareBlaster set.
    CesiaS

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id too would recommend Comodo.

as for HIPS, it depends how much control u want. Comodo's Application Behavior Analysis would be enough for leaktests and a HIPS like SSM would give greater control. If u dont like answering pop-ups, then give Prevx1 or Cyberhawk a try.

6. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestion of SSM, will give it a try

7. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

One thing with Comodo - when I tried it some time ago Firefox had to have a permission to act as a server in order to connect to internet. In Zone Alarm this kind of permission would not be a good thing - I take it that in Comodo it means something different. Could you clarify this for me?
    Thank you

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Unlike IE, FF uses a loopback connection for communication between the browser and the SSL module. This requires FF to 'act as a server'. I believe you will find this to be the situation when using FF with ZA Pro as well as with Comodo. But getting back to your initial post, since it seems as if ZAP is performing well for you, I would leave well enough alone!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello CesiaS:

You don't need a firewall at all IMO, since you have router with SPI for inbound. So, remove ZAP (ZA Free) and disable XP's also. Install HIPS that is capable of filtering internet access. Viable solutions:

SSM paid, NOT free (doesn't have network control)
    ProSecurity paid (well, if you want a HIPS with NIPS, you have to pay)
    possibly other paid (or free that I am not aware of)

Wait for more comments if you can, but this proposition

could also be a way to go, unless your son is some super geek trying to break into Pentagon. :D

Regards.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  10. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello pugmug

That's indeed the best version. But that link says "file not found" o_O

Look at this also.
    Not a good policy of CheckPoint to disown ZoneLabs products. :)

Cheers.

12. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Although it is not my current setup, I do think that ZAF, Cyberhawk, and SandboxIE would be a good set up. These programs would provide almost no popups for your son to handle and would give you for free, a firewall, HIPS, and virtualization tool.

The above 3 with spyware blaster and your AV would be all the protection that most would need.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Create a limited account for him and give him Firefox.
    Prevent him from using IE via Group Policy...
    Bob's your uncle.
    Mrk

14. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Re: Please comment on this setup -update

I uninstalled ZAP 7.0 as I started having problems with Frefox freezing and installed Comodo. Unless I start having problems with it I will stay with Comodo and I will try several different HIPS applications as recommended here. Prevex1, Cyberhawk, SSM, ProSecurity , will also try SandboxIE .

I do not want a lot of pop ups so will try Prevx1 or Cyberhawk first

I will keep this suggestion in mind as well- if Commodo slows down my PC too much

Thank you very much for all your help, the path seems much clearer now.

15. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Thank you . This sounds very reassuring . I decided to install Comodo instead of ZAF, but will try adding Cyberhawk and SandboxIE to see if this works without any conflicts .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.