Places to like in your state/country

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by ssgtmax, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Lots of places to choose from in good ol' CAL-EE-4-NIGH-AYE, but the July heat of the San Joaquin Valley tends to make folks around here long for the "Central Coast". Early yesterday morning, my friend & I packed up and headed out for a day trip over there.

Though it was blind luck, we couldn't have picked a better day. Absolutely chamber-of-commerce-mild-high60s-to-low70s weather after the usual morning low clouds burned off. An endlessly blue sky matched only by a bluer, calm Pacific Ocean. We covered the roughly 90 driving miles from Santa Maria in the south to cliff-dwelling Ragged Point (about 15 miles north of San Simeon/Hearst Castle) on the north end. We explored rocky cliffs, sandy beaches, tidepools....hearing the laughter of vacationing children @ every stop....elephant seals lounging on a beach north of Cayucos, a fog-shrouded lighthouse (closed to visitors, but viewed from a short distance), small shops in small towns (Morro Bay, Cambria). Dozens of photo-ops, with an especially beautiful setting sun @ Ragged Point (sits maybe 400-500' above the rocky shoreline below) that left us pretty much speechless....not to mention exhausted after a full day walking/hiking on old, out-of-shape legs. A good exhaustion, though. I was reminded a hundred times during the day that one has to get out & explore this state to appreciate its majesty. For all its faults (geological & otherwise), it is one of nature's masterpieces. :cool: :cool:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A few California quotes. Palmdale is my birth place so it is okay for me to show these quotes.:D

Edward Abbey:

There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California.

Frank Lloyd Wright:

Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.

Fred Allen:

California is a fine place to live—if you happen to be an orange.

Ross MacDonald:

Nothing is wrong with Southern California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure.

3. ssgtmax

Good ones all! I suspect there will be more to follow. BTW, that Palmdale/Lancaster area has experienced remarkable growth, beginning with the big defense-spending buildup in the 80s. I remember once driving through there (just outside a little place called Pearblossom, I think) in winter....with snow-covered desert Yucca plants all around. Was a strange scene, but not all THAT unusual for the "high desert". :ninja: :ninja:

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Whenever you guys/galls visit my country don't forget to have a look at the Delta Werken.
    Find some info over here:

http://www.deltawerken.com/

5. ssgtmax

An engineering marvel....would luv to see it in person. :eek:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. dog

dog Guest

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  9. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey ssgtmax, it's sounds like a real nice trip you had there! Although you had to walk a lot, I think visiting on foot is the best way to discover new places! :)

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Singapore is reportedly one of the cleanest places in the world. I have read there is a 1000.00 fine for littering and gum chewing is prohibited. ;)

snowbound

11. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I read the story of the flood and it is a sad thing. I'm sure the Netherlands must be a real nice place to visit. :)

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

We do have quite a few nice places to enjoy here in oklahoma but this one is really pretty nice lake tenkiller and this is a fun place to visit arbuckle wilderness just two examples of things to do here.

13. nadirah

Yes, my country's government is very strict on that. For littering, a $1000 fine is imposed and litterbugs are also made to wear shirts with the words: Corrective work order, and environment officers will force the litterbugs to sweep and clean up pubilc facilities.

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

It really looks great, and I think Ansel Adam is an excellent photographer!
    I admired "Lake Tenaya, Yosemite National Park" picture taken in 1946.
    And of course there are other talented photographers too on that website. :)

15. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I like arbuckle wilderness! :)

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It really is pretty there and a lot of interesting things to see and do.

17. nadirah

Here's an attraction at the birdpark in Singapore:

Penguin Parade

http://www.birdpark.com/attractions/pic/penguin1.jpg Penguin Parade Occupying an area of 1,630 square metres, the Penguin Parade is the home to the endearing penguins found at the BirdPark. There are more than 200 of them living here. The five species on exhibit are the Humboldt, the Rockhopper, the Macaroni, the Fairy and the majestic King Penguin.

The Penguin Parade, with a temperature of 16 degrees Celsius, has a large pool set against a landscape of rocks, cliffs, nesting alcoves and burrows. This simulates the birds’ natural habitat in the Antarctic.

http://www.birdpark.com/attractions/pic/penguin5.jpg Humboldt Penguins A special lighting system recreates the four seasons of the year effect to enable them to maintain their bio-rhythm. Visitors at the exhibit will be treated to a vast panoramic view of these fascinating birds ‘flying’ underwater through a specially constructed viewing gallery, which has a 30-metre wide window. Catch these birds in action at their feeding times and they will certainly enthrall you.

Penguin Feeding Times: 10.30 am & 3.30 pm Opening Hours: 9.30 am to 5.00 pm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  18. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Looks like a beautiful place Nadirah. :)

I have been to Asia many times(Vietnam, China, Thailand) but never Singapore.

Hopefully in the near future i will have that chance. ;)

snowbound

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I know exactly what you mean there gerardwil.....I live on the EAST coast of Lincolnshire and I know what happened that night.....all those people, Dutch and English, never stood a chance.......may it never happen again......

Cochise, :cool:

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i remember reading about that, they said it was pretty freakish weather, low pressure, the full moon made the sea bulge up afew metres, plus there was a big winter storm too.
    anyway, i hope its ok to put in this link, because i used to take the 22 bus after work alot.
    http://www.christopherholt.com/subjects/free-wallpaper.htm

21. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

One of my absolute favorite Washington State Parks located on the northern tip of Whidby Island in Island county. Spectacular scenery, towering old growth trees, salt water beaches, and four lakes. Two weeks ago we drove our minnie motorhome up there and spent several days just hiking all over the park and enjoying the outdoors.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Deception Pass&pageno=1

greyfox

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.