Pipelining in Firefox 15 - default maxrequests now 32

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I was playing around in my about:config and noticed that the maxrequests for pipelining in Firefox 15 is set to 32 by default. That surprised me. The last time I ever looked (several versions ago) it was set to 4. I remember seeing tweak articles stating that changing it to 8 sped things up, and that setting it to anything higher was moot since it couldn't handle any more than 8 anyway.

Obviously this has changed?... Does anyone know, is 32 the most it can handle now? Is having it that high even advantageous for that matter? I wonder if it'd function better with a lower number, like 15-25? Has anyone tested out different scenarios?

2. luciddream

I just noticed the setting above it "max-optimistic-requests", at 4. I wonder, is that what it's really using?... optimistic is the new (real) maxrequests. And that 32 figure is the max it will allow possibly?

I'm going to change that "4" to something higher and see what happens. I'll post the results. And it'd be nice to get a few opinions here too.

3. luciddream

Also a setting "pipelining.aggressive" I've never seen before.

Can anyone shed some light on these new settings? And some recommendations on how to best utilize them?

I'm going to test out "aggressive" and see how FF responds.

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Maybe this guide might help >>> Tips for faster Firefox page loading

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thanks for this.Ive been looking for a guide like this for a while now.
    Have you tried these settings yourself?:blink:

6. berryracer

yes bro, although it takes you about 5 mins to do all the steps, but loading websites become as snappy as Chrome it's awesome!

Just don't bother with the cache tweaks at the end, doesn't do much difference really I just did them for the heck of it

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I can't imagine pipelining that much really makes much difference. In fact if it makes a difference I'd expect it to be negative.

It's also worth noting that these values almost always have a cap. For a long time setting the HTTP Pipelining requests above 8 would just set it to 8 but people were putting it up to 40 and things like that.

8. berryracer

After using these tweaks, I suggest you backup your Firefox profile using MozBackup so you can easily reload them in the even that you format

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.