PING (Partimage is not Ghost) Have you ever used it?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zorro zorrito, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

Hi all, I found this software, have you ever used it? and if so, what do you think about it?
    http://ping.windowsdream.com/

Thanks for the answers.
    :D

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Yes, been using for a couple of years, never had a single issue with it.

3. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi zorro :)

If I am not mistaken, it is very similar to Clonezilla, and probably uses the same software modules. PING is for cold imaging and is not a windows application. Some nice features:

"Specific advantages PING brings you over DOS and Ghost :

Most network cards automatically recognized by the Kernel (unlike DOS);
    Most CD/DVD readers automatically recognized by the Kernel (unlike DOS);
    You don't have to run a Ghostcast server to receive images over the network;
    More supported filesystems;
    You can store an image on several CD/DVD (CD/DVD-spanning);
    You can backup and restore BIOS settings too;
    Much much smaller than WinPE / BartPE;
    etc."

I have used Clonezilla before, but not PING. Here is some additonal info and details here:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

Here is what is stated:

"There are a few different options for users that are looking for a good free drive imaging solution and some of the most reliable options are offline programs. The choice that stands out above the rest for me is PING (PartImage Is Not Ghost). Most offline solutions can be kind of intimidating and hard to figure out at first but PING is almost too easy as it leads you through the steps needed to create an image one by one and offers a short explanation of some of the options available. [new editirs note: With all due deference to my very able predecessor, the choices offered as you step through the prodedure may easily confuse with nomenclature and concepts not used in typical Windows systems and environments] The program can create incremental backup images and will save you significant time in doing so. It can also backup and restore the BIOS and it can create a bootable restoration disk to make restoring your backups that much easier. The software was developed to offer a free alternative to the very popular Norton Ghost and over the years it has gained a better set of features than Ghost making it a great choice for anybody."

As far as features compared to Clonezilla, it appears PING can perform incremental backups and I do not remember this feature in Clonezilla, but is has been quite awhile since I used Clonezilla.

They are basically very reliable backup apps and can take some time to get used to the interface and how to operate it as compared to the typical windows hot imaging backup apps. I personally prefer cold imaging.

If you learn how to use it, I would say it would be a very reliable free cold imaging solution, based on a Linux environment:
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Jim

4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I used Acronis, Macrium, Paragon, win-7 inbuilt imaging, now using only Clonezilla and never tried PING.

Is it possible to estimate compression and speed of PING vs Clonezilla?

5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

When I used PING (18 months ago) it backed-up and restored my system perfectly but was quite slow on both counts! I see that it hasn't been updated since I last used it. :doubt:

Cruise

6. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

7. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Thanks, guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.