PIF files

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Ego_Dekker, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ego_Dekker

Ego_Dekker Registered Member

If you right-click on a PIF file (extension changed from EXE), ESET context menu won't appear. Why?

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

What version of NOD32 are you running?
    What Windows o/s in on that computer?
    Does this affect ALL files in a .PIF format?

3. Ego_Dekker

Ego_Dekker Registered Member

EAV 5.2.9.12 on Windows Vista (32-bit) and EAV 6.0.115 on Windows 7 (32-bit, VirtualBox).
    Yes, it does.

4. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I took a look and noticed the same thing. This is with Eset NOD32 v. 5.2.9.1 on a system running XP Home SP3. However, I want to add that I have both Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware running live alongside Eset NOD32. When I do a right-click on a PIF file, I see only Malwarebytes listed to scan the file. Windows shows PIF files as shortcut files and all shortcut files are being treated this same way. Only Malwarebytes is listed as a scanner for these. All other files also show Eset _and_ SUPERAntiSpyware as able to scan the files. So, this is not just an Eset issue!!! SUPERAntiSpyware is affected as well. I don't often scan a file from a right-click context, and most files that I would scan manually are not PIF or shortcut files, so I had not noticed this before.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  5. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

I checked in on this issue and you're right. Our Product Management team is aware of it. All ESET security products WILL automatically scan these files, so the protection is still there but the right-click scan isn't currently available for .pif files.

6. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

It seems that it is a question of how an anti-malware product integrates with Windows Explorer, where the scan option is displayed in the menu that pops up with a right-click on a file icon or name. Why shortcuts would not be scanned by all installed products is a question worth answering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.