pidgin IM

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    since i dont really use yahoo messenger much i decided to download pidgin instead.
    but when contacts want to add me or i want to add them click accept and it says error cant not add and i dont know why.
    has anyone else has this problem?
    lodore

2. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

lodore,

I've been running it since v1.5 and never had that problem. I assume you installed the latest version (2.1.1) and have tried to uninstall and reinstall.

Maybe try the pidgin forums or try either miranda or trillian.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Have you tried http://wwwm.meebo.com/ ?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im trying it now.
    lodore

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is there any yahoo! messenger alternative that will alert when you receive yahoo! mail ?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I know Trillian (Pro) and Miranda have plugins (you can find a email notification one). Maybe Pidgin too not sure.

7. acr1965

thanks

update- this from Miranda's site:

"Miranda IM
    Article Archives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hosting Server Update
    August 27, 2007 by rainwater

It seems our server that hosts miranda-im.org, along with the bug tracker and Addons has faced an untimely death. We are currently working to restore services as quickly as possible. Stay tuned for more updates."

So I am unable to check on Miranda's ad-ons right now. I did not see either of the other two had an email notify.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Pidgin:

pidgin.jpg

mail-1.jpg

mail-2.jpg

So, I would say: Yes, there is.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  10. acr1965

Ill check those out. Thanks

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I use meebo.com for web chat because I can log into each service individually.

I was a long time Miranda user, but now using Pidgin, when I tried Gaim on XP it looked big and ugly, even though it it looked neat under Linux, probably a weird glitch, but Pidgin seems to have it sorted, I think it might of been a GTK issue.

Miranda and lighter and faster and comes with less stuff as default and takes more time to configure to your liking. By default Pidgin has about 80% of what I need (in terms of config and plug ins).
    I find Miranda has a steeper learning curve in terms of ease of use and seems a little disorganised compared to Pidgin.

I have just updated to the latest version of Pidgin and my friend was using trying out the internet from his new mobile phone last night and added me via Yahoo and MSN fine, the requests came through fine and no error.

12. acr1965

I tried out Pidgin and Trillian free version. Pidgin seemed to do a good basic job but the free Trillian version seems much better, albeit a bit heavier in resources. Trillian lets me sign into three yahoo accounts at once and get mail notification for each as well as set my satus for each yahoo account individually (away, invisible, available). That helps a lot, expecially since yahoo! messenger is not yet Vista ready. But I seriously doubt I ever go back to YM again. You can also go directly to a yahoo email from trillian- alhtough the active-x may be a turn-off for some.

I have not tried Miranda but it looks like their site is back up and running- they had some sort of crash which did not allow access to their add ons a few weeks back.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Been using Gaim/Pidgin in both Windows and Linux since its early days, no problems, I have two ICQ accounts, one MSN, two Yahoo, one AIM and one Google Talk, all signed in at once, I get mail notifications for all the clients and it runs day in day out without any problems, I have no issues adding contacts in any accounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.