physical mem

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sicher, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yes you can customize the components of Office; dont know if it would save memory though.

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi sicher,

Thanks for your kind compliment sicher, but I'm far from experienced. I'm only sharing my experience as I gain more knowledge. I was also reinforcing the suggestion from LoneWolf. There's no cure for a slow computer like adding more RAM. It's was like night and day on my machine ;) . I've read that the 'sweet spot' for Windows XP is 1 gig of RAM.

When I added more RAM, I followed the instructions in my e-machines desktop manual. If you don't have your manual, you should be able to find it at Toshiba support. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp I tried looking up your model, but I didn't see just a plain M30 model. You can check under the Tech Support link and select the proper product.

Before I installed more RAM, I performed a couple of these tweaks. They change the way Windows looks and sounds a little bit, but it helps with speed. You can always change them back if you don't like it. Be sure to keep notes on what you change. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html Scroll down to 'Step 4 - Tweaks' and try 1, 3, and 4.

Cheers, innerpeace

3. sicher

sicher Registered Member

Hi CCSITO,
    I love my outlook mail client. The other day I tried Thunderbird again for the second time, but got so angry that I deleted it again. There was a specific addon I was after and after the download it turned out to be only for the earlier version. I think I need to close outlook when I am surfing with my FF which serves well.
    Comodo is the only Firewall that is leak proof and at this stake I do not know of the routers are. Spyware Doctor supposed to be free but after the download they asked me for the creditcard. I may as well use it until it runs out and I am at a loss as to what to replace it with. They have added a process Guard since which looks after rootkits, a feature I also like.

Would you pleas explain to me about MOBO as I am ignorant.

4. WSFuser

mobo is short for motherboard.

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Hi,
    Some do prefer using Outlook versus other email programs. Closing out programs on the task list should help a little with the memory problem. I am not surprised by the CC prompt by Spyware Doctor(they want your money). At many computer stores and some "big" magazine reviews, Spyware Doctor and Spy Sweeper have usually been rated very high. I have never used them, but I think that there are very good alternatives available. Comodo has a growing user base and I first learned about it when I looked around for a firewall program, but I haven't tried it out. MOBO(motherboard) is the circuit board layout inside the laptop or tower case. The manufacturer allocates a set amount of slots to add RAM sticks and the board can only recognize up to a predetermined amount of RAM (some boards will not let you stick any random amount of RAM into one slot in some cases). So you cannot keep increasing the RAM amount if you wanted to when you reach the board limit (which also applies to CPU chips, Hard drives, and nearly anything else on that board).

6. sicher

sicher Registered Member

MOBO [lol]
    Why did it not click with me. Yes, I did check with the part supplier. My Satellite M30 is expandable to 2GB. So I should have no problem and the 225 AUD should be well spend, hopefully. I like it to last another four years as my Son has an old one that is very aged and trouble free. Toshiba claims that they are the inventors of laptops.
    Comodo are bringing out a new version v.3.0 and is in beta now. Anyone here is getting Scott's [Fenny] Newsletter? He has a lot on PC security etc. and people write to him about their problems. He answers very quickly. Comodo pro is free but uses a fair bit of resource.

Speaking of good alternatives available, I think that most software manufacturers and security vendors are expending their programs to cover all angles of attacks. It seems so by reading different reviews. Solong as we still can get good stuff for free or affordable. The constant daily updates must cost them something and one wonders how many of them co-operate and work together.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I don't have the foreign exchange rates handy so not sure if it is a good deal or not. :D
    Not sure if Toshiba invented the laptop or not, will need to check.
    I think that is because they keep "piling" on the additives to the program and keep updating the components.
    There might be some cooperation between the security companies since all need to update their programs when new malware becomes detected or else they will suffer the fallout of angry users who become infected by using their not "up to date" program. I am sure that the constant daily updates result in expenditures on personnel labor costs, computer maintenance costs, and utility costs at a minimum. Whether they can continue to offer free programs and updates depend on the economic picture of the company. Remember that back in 2000, the Internet (access) was widely available for free. Now that is almost impossible to find.

8. sicher

sicher Registered Member

Thanks CCSITO

Does anyone know if signature updating increases the load on memory or do they replace some existing ones? If sig's are for ever keep increasing, that would be bad

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That was something discussed in an earlier thread. If the signature keeps increasing, will it extend to the GB file sizeo_O? :eek:

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Interresting, never heard of it. Do you have a link please?

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Sorry, another link request please?

12. WSFuser

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  13. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Sicher,

Since you list both Spyware Doctor and Spybot S&D which cover similar areas, disabling one of these would seem a prudent choice.

I would also suggest that 512MB should be plenty for normal use and an upgrade is only likely to help if you regularly see more than this being used in Task Manager.

If your system still appears slow, try disconnecting from the Internet and then disabling all your security software (you shouldn't need it so much when you're offline). If your PC is still slow (and Task Manager isn't showing high CPU/memory utilisation) then a rootkit may be at work - in which case a Windows reinstall is the best course of action to take.

14. sicher

sicher Registered Member

I have now installed the extra mem, which took only 4 minutes to do. Freshly downloaded Spyware Doctor v.5.0 which comes now with Antivirus as well. It is definetely the beast that devoures resources but has everything on board.

Comodo firewall and WinPatrol are also running. Problem with them is, they ask me permission after the deeds are done. Know what I mean? All is well now on the whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.