Photo program needed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Ha, ha, hah! Windows graphics "...with a vengence".

Come on, guys! Somebody other than myself must find that at least moderately funny?!

Eldar - Thanks for that info. When I first looked at the program I could not find that info on their website.

You know, this is an interesting thread because it reminds me that though I keep calling them graphics viewers these programs really are editors too, and they probably have key differences too. Just a word to the wise though, if you are going to be maintaining more than a few thousand pictures on your computer then the the viewer part (thumbnail creation and maintanence, and preview windows, and thumbnail caching are going to be very big issues. If not, then I guess it comes down to little preferences....like...I make a lot of my own folder icons. Some programs would use the default windows icons. I hate that!

Another consideration is do any of these free "photo programs" out there offer full .8bf support (like the major commercial programs do). If any one of them does and the others don't, I'd get a copy regardless of which one you might like best. There are literally thousands of free plugins (.8bf) and some are really fun, and some are even useful. I now have something like 25,000 free plugins (really!) My goal was to try them all. Now my goal is to stop downloading them! But what keeps me going is that I keep finding just enough new good ones to make weeding through them kind of fun!

-HandsOff

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if its seriously does include that virus-like element, than i can clearly see the humor/irony.

how nice of marketing to point the software's intention, nah?

3. HandsOff

Right on FSU!

And I don't blame your doubtfulness because I was amazed myself. Firehand apparently felt pretty self-rightious because not only did they put a gun to their customers heads, so to speak, they actually named the component, "FireAnvil"

Firehand had a product that looked from their web page like something that was perfect for my needs. But I have learned through experience that it is always best to check a few reviews, and ask about it here, too. I believe Kaspersky was the first AV to identify it, though I could be wrong.

- HandsOff

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

wow searching google for "fireanvil" turns up quite a few results. symantec in particular has a lot of info.

5. HandsOff

(re- FireAnvil)
    ...I mean, would it not have been just that much worse if Sony had designated their little rootkit. "Loyal Customer Flogger" or something. (Because only the honest customers were put at risk, not the people with pirated copies).

(re- XnView)
    I wanted to add that I read in another forum that XnView is planning to impliment a dual pane version in the near future. They are really making it hard for me to find flaws in it.

(re- One hell of a nice guy)
    - HandsOff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.