Phoenix

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by root, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

I have installed Phoenix .03. I am still not sure about java. The java applet at www.morelerbe.com does not play. Does someone have a couple of java sites where I can test the java on this thing.
    Also I downloaded the tabs extension and am having trouble getting it to work the way it says it will handle the tabs.
    Also no go button and I miss that.
    This is a pretty minimalistic browser and it is fast. For the most part I really like it, but it sure needs some polish.
    Anybody with some good tips, let me know.

2. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

You would like the version I have. It has tabs AND the "GO" button. Keep in mind something might be there one day and not there the next with their nightly builds. I am just using 0.1 and it's great! That "Go" button should be found under "View/Customize Toolbar"......and yes, I have problems with Java now and then. I get their updates and they are always addressing it. I believe they recommend using Sun's Java Virtual Machine in the Java 2 Runtime Environment. You'll have to manually download it, but it's a breeze. http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html Sun's JVM is better anyway...it's got that cool control panel and all, plus Microsoft is just not that committed to Java and are always a bit behind.

In 0.1 they started with more Mozilla functions in place and they're slowly slimming it down and temporarily disabling features so the latest is not necesarily the greatest.

John
    Luv2bSecure

3. root

root Registered Member

Thanks John. got the Go button.
    I'm getting the hang of it. Found another link for Java. I'll let you know.

Almost forgot. Can't find any security settings. No lock to indicate a secure site? Any info on this?

4. luv2bsecure

I have a lock - it's in the far left hand corner.

Glad you're getting it down. I have noticed the speed is really good. I timed a few sites from the moment it begins to draw until it's done. It beat IE each time. Of course, there are always a lot of variables in that, but I did it in the same connection -- and since they use a separate cache, I thought it a fair test.

But, who knows? Opera is awfully good too with speed, but we're talking $$$ and there are some things I don't like. Wouldn't you like to be able to design your own browser? Drag and drop - and when you're finished, it be exactly what you want. Ahhhh.....dream on, huh?

Have a good weekend!!

John
    Luv2bSecure

5. root

root Registered Member

6. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Using Moz 1.1 and 1.2b the applet loads to about 95% then gives a java exception-null pointer. I haven't got IE so I cant try, but I shall run the page through a validator.

7. root

root Registered Member

Thanks. So it's not just me. :D

8. luv2bsecure

I get the exact same thing as tinribs - a null pointer. It will be interesting to see how it turns out when tinribs runs it through the validator.

Actually, that's another BIG plus for the Mozilla projects: a 100% total commitment to the W3C standards. Which might, in the short-term cause some problems with some sites until they clean them up and fall into compliance with their coding.

John

9. Tinribs

10. root

root Registered Member

Hmmmm............
    That is strange as the page renders perfectly with Opera.
    Now that's a change, huh? o_O

11. Tinribs

:D That does make a change, I only used to keep Moz for when Opera rendered incorrectly, mind you when Opera 7 is released I could be going back to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.