PGPDisk 6.58CKT Questions

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DSB, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSB

DSB Registered Member

Does anyone know how to determine what algorithm PGPDisk uses? I am using Imad's CKT build 08 of 6.58, and I would like to know exactly what it is doing for encryption. Is there a way to set an preferred algorithm to create a container or is it a preset option?

Thanks for any input.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It appears that Imad's pages have disappeared. The C-KT builds of PGP are known for their full RSA key support, large key support, and numerous other modifications to the official PGP versions. These builds of 6.5.8, 6.5.1, 6.0.2, 5.5.3, and 2.6.3 are compiled from the source code available at PGPi (6.5.8 from the NAI released binary code). Since the C-KT builds have many nonstandard options and interfaces; it may not be a good choice for the new PGP user. Unlike the "i" builds, the C-KT builds have not had the approval of NAI or PGP Corp., and there is some controversy (but no apparent legal action) over the legality/appropriateness of their use.

I can't answer your question but I know a couple of places to look.

Here and here

3. DSB

DSB Registered Member

Thanks ronjor: it appears that the earlier builds of PGP (below 7.0) used exclusively 128-bit CAST, with 256 Twofish added as of 7.0 and 256 AES added into 8.0. It is still possible that Imad added different options into his custom build, although I understand that it is unsupported and legal questions (unaddressed) surround it.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I like PGP but no one I know uses it. It takes a little practice. It is the best for keeping your email and other things private.
    My emails are so dull that I don't care who reads them! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.