PG3 no disk in A: drive after install of google desktop

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by grey_ghost, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi,
    I get a random pop up alert from PG when opening applications or launching a browser.
    This occurred after installing Google Desktop.
    This alert appears twice. And the A: drive is accessed each time.

please see enclosed “gif image“ below.

Best regards,

Attached Files:

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Grey Ghost, Looks like you may have a pointer to your A drive enabled somewhere, I have seen this even without PG running, I guess you may have say a backed up document or maybe an installer which you may have permitted but did not complete or was left "hanging"
    Make sure that windows explorer is not trying to access the drive when you open it. This can happen with other removable storage if the drive is not cleared properly.
    Checking the paths in the alerts log may tell as may those shown in the properties in the security listed programs.

HTH Pilli.

3. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

it can be due to a bad file type association, as if (for instance) HTML or GIF files was linked to Process Guard instead of your browser, I remember to have seen such case in the past but do not remember with which software.

gkweb.

4. Ocol

Ocol Guest

Another thing to do is to go into Security in the Process Guard 3 menu. Check to make sure none of the applications listed referenve the A:\

I ran a program from the A:\ and permitted it in Process Guard. After this I found that Process Guard was asking for the A:\. I think it was looking for this program.

5. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

I believe that when PG fires up it searches the location of all the programs in the 'Security' and 'Protection' tabs, searching for their icons. Hence if the program was on a floppy, and it has been removed then the error you encountered would result.

This is a bit of a niggle, and hopefully will be resolved in the final version

Regards
    Tom

6. grey_ghost

Hi,
    Thanks for your help.
    I have tried a few things to correct this alert.

Uninstalled Google Desktop. Did not correct the alert.

With Google Desktop uninstalled I uninstalled PG 3 and did a registry clean.
    The alert was gone.

When I reinstalled PG 3 the alert was back.

It appears at Windows log on and with a manual start of PG.
    Also randomly with an application start.
    This does not affect the operation of PG.

I also disabled all programs other than PG at start up and the alert appeared with PG
    I will look at the protection list as you recommended to see if there are any associations that may be looking at the A: drive.

Best regards

7. grey_ghost

Hi
    Your suggestions were correct.
    I had two references to applications run from A:.
    HijackThis and AboutBuster.
    Removed these from the list and the alert is gone.
    This shows how you can be led in the wrong direction when troubleshooting problems.
    I had forgotten about using the A: drive, and only remembered installing the Google Desktop in the same time frame. :)

Thanks to all who responded.

Best regards

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Glad you got it sorted :)

Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.