PG3.410 incompatibility with Raxco PD8

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Chalawah, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

Hello,

I have just installed Raxco PD8. I previously had PD7 running without any issues, alongside PG3.410.

Unfortunately I cannot get PD8 to complete an offline defrag, the error message is: "couldn't gain access to Dive C" and "there is a possible driver conflict."

I read here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16773912~days=9999~start=60
    that MoeRL on 2006-09-04 15:29:01 experienced the same issue, and later posts a link to a thread at Raxco
    http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=494
    which reads:

Process Guard - Diamond Computer Systems .
    Several customers have reported that with Process Guard installed, PerfectDisk's boot time defrag will no longer run. Raxco has been unable to re-create. Several customers have also reported that with Process Guard installed, the installation of PerfectDisk may not comlete sucessfully.​

Is anyone else having a simliar problem with PD8 and PG3.410?

I have contacted Raxco support and will post back any reply from them if it concerns PG and Raxco PD8.

Thanks,

familyman

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Is PD8 in its final version yet? I think the latest is still version 7.
    For your case, I recommend that you roll back to PD7 to resolve any incompatibility issues.

3. Chalawah

Yes PD8 final version has been released a few days ahead of the public release to subscribers.

Sure, I might roll back, but I'd rather try onwards and upwards for the moment;)

Thanks for posting.

familyman

Dear Valued Raxco Customer,

Raxco is pleased to present you with a special PerfectDisk 8 early bird notice!

PerfectDisk Version 8.0 will be released to the general public on September 12th, 2006. Because you are covered under our Support and Upgrade Protection program, we are happy to make Version 8 available to you right now, ahead of the general release.

In order to receive your free download of PerfectDisk 8, please follow these 3 simple steps:

Step 1. Go to the PerfectDisk 8 free download site:

http://www.raxco.com/pd8free/pdv8_download.cfm

Step 2. Enter your 19 character order number that begins with W- and also the email address associated with your original PerfectDisk V7 product purchase. This information can be found in your original order receipt. Once you have entered the W- order number and email address, click the “Submit Information” button.

Step 3. After validation of your original PerfectDisk V7 purchase, you will be presented with a download for your free PerfectDisk 8 download. Simply download the software to your computer by clicking on the download link and then run the software. When PerfectDisk 8 installs, it will preserve any existing defragmentation schedules and configurations that are currently found.

PerfectDisk 8 contains many enhancements, including:

- New Command Center console if you are managing multiple machines
    - Redesigned user interface
    - Faster engine including new patent-pending Resource Saver technology for faster file access
    - New intelligent Screen Saver mode
    - New graphical displays
    - Enhanced scheduling options with AutoPilot Scheduling (formerly Scheduling)
    - New Single File Defrag
    - New Consolidate Free Space Defrag
    - New CPU and I/O throttling
    - New automatic Shutdown after defrag
    - New Power Management

PerfectDisk 8 is another big step forward for the industry's leading disk defragmenter. Enjoy your copy.

We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

Raxco Customer Service Team

*If you need further assistance, please contact softwareorders@raxco.com

4. racketeer66

racketeer66 Registered Member

I've solvedit!!
    Here Ya go:
    OFFLINE DEFRAG WORKS!
    For me the sinner was "sptd", a hidden device used by DAEMON Tools. I have disabled it in the Device Manager and the offline defrag has worked!Then reboot and have enabled again. I know it's tricky but for the moment this is the only way to get OFFLINE DEFRAG work! Alcohol 120% also uses the very driver.
    "I came to the same conclusion. Offline defrag will not work with virtual drive software. Uninstalling Virtual Drive software does not help either. Restored a fresh image of XP without any traces (drivers) of Virtual Drive software and I had no problems with Offline defrag until I installed Alcohol 120% and the problem started again. We also came to the same conclusion on another matter."
    "sptd.sys" is also used by Alcohol 120%. Directions follow if anyone needs them.

1) Right mouse click on “My Computer” and select “Manage”

2) Click on Device Manager

3) Click “View” and then select “Show Hidden Devices”

4) Click “View” and then select “Devices by Connection”

5) Scroll down until you see "sptd"

6) Right mouse click on "sptd" and select “Disable”. Click “Yes” to confirm disabling of this device Windows will prompt you to reboot. Select “Reboot Later”

7) Open Raxco PerfectDisk v.8 and select an “Offline Defragmentation”.

:cool: Reboot system

9) Perform a boot time defragmentation pass with PerfectDisk

10) After the boot time defrag has completed and Windows has restarted, re-enable sptd by following the above instructions and selecting “Enable”.

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Well, but the problem is whether Julien is even using the "offending" tools mentioned in racketeer's report.

6. racketeer66

In my case ProcessGuard has nothing to do with this problem. PD8 defrags nice and easy (supposing sptd is disabled).
    It HAS solved my issue. But here some xtra info:
    According to Raxco’s support site, the problem is a 3rd part program conflict. Get more info here:
    http://www.perfectdisk8.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=494&issue=3

Boot time defrag fails to run:

When attempting to perform a boot time defragmentation pass, I get a "failed to open" or "driver conflict" message or the system reboots without performing the boot time defrag.

Some 3rd party products open the drive for write access prior to PerfectDisk's boot time defrag being able to mount the drive for exclusive access. If the drive has been opened for write access, PerfectDisk will not be able to perform a boot time defrag and PerfectDisk's boot time defrag will not run so that there is no chance for file system issues to occur.

Depending on the 3rd party product, you may either see a "failed to open" message from PerfectDisk or a "possible driver conflict" message on the screen. The following 3rd party products have been found to prevent PerfectDisk's boot time defrag from running. There may be other products not listed that also prevent PerfectDisk's boot time defrag from running.

I have been using PerfectDisk v.7 with no problem, so this must be something new.
    Some programs that could cause a conflict at boot time:

Ewido Anti-Spyware
    Nod32
    TuneUp Utilities 2006
    Webroot Spy Sweeper
    Webroot Window Washer

7. Chalawah

Re: PG3.410 incompatibility with Raxco PD8?

Great work racketeer66:D

Thankyou for taking the time to post your findings. For me also "sptd" was the problem. Disabling it as per your instructions [nice and clear, thankyou] meant that PD8 could carry out a successful offline defrag.

Your time and enery valued and appreciated!

familyman

[Its a shame I missed off the "?" in the op title when posing the question. Certainly didn't mean to diss PG. I ws unable to edit the op title when I realised my mistake just after posting it].

8. racketeer66

Good news! I guess Raxco will take care of the issue, as soon as official release is up 4 grab publicly.

9. Brother Esau

Brother Esau Registered Member

I personally dont care for the new perfect disk 8 it is to much like diskeeper was 1 1/2 years ago! The enterprise server version is good but who has that kind of money?

10. Chalawah

Hey Brother Esau

You're post is way off topic and this thread has already run its course with a workable solution for the original post:rolleyes:

familyman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.