PG version 3 - BSOD

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by A884126, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

First BSOD with PG 3:

procguard.sys Address F7bc479B base at F7BC3000

Hum... anyone needs the Minidump?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi 884126, I guess you could send it to support@diamondcs.com also it may be a good idea to send a copy of your alert log file - Unfortunately there is no easy way to send your protection list in this Beta but a screenshot of it may help if you can.

Thanks Pilli.

3. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I got a BSOD too while using that version - the 1st BSOD on my new pc!! Didn't get the details but uninstalled PG and never had any more problems.

4. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

Wasn't lucky enough to get any BSOD's (haven't seen one of those in ages!) but I did have my fair share of show-stopping errors with 3.0beta2. See my other thread.

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

I think that errors that you haven encounter can be due to a too much restrictive configuration, I mean that by not giving the needed allowances to particular processes, you can render your system unbootable.

Anyway, to say "it bugs I uninstall" will not help to find the bug (if any) and to improve the product for the benefit of everyone.
    In fact I have followed the different beta versions, and they are all stable on my comp, so my guess is, either it is a configuration problem, or a software conflict.

In case of BSOD, the minidump file will help.

regards,

gkweb.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

How big is the dump ? please save it and we will let you know. Email the size to processguard(at)diamondcs.com.au please :)

7. A884126

Pilli & Gavin,

Alert logs and snapshot of my protection list has been sent to the support today.
    Unfortunately the Minidump folder is empty. Do not ask me why cos I do not know.

Gkwed,
    Wrong assumption. I did not change the default configuration. I just intalled PG, left it a full day in Learning Mode then unchecked it the next day.

PS: I hope things will get better as since I bought PG I never could use it because of too many issues I faced in the past. I understood PG3 should solve all my concerns, I cross fingers and I hope it is going to be true.

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes send the minidump, also are you on the FINAL BETA, or the first BETA? If you can't tell just post a screenshot of the ProcessGuard interface. :)

9. A884126

Jason,

The minidumps have been sent to you just now by mail as requested.

Thx

Ps: final or first beta I do not know. I just downloaded it last week as a registered user. Please see file attached.

10. Jason_DiamondCS

11. A884126

Jason,

After reading the links you provided I do not feel concerned by this issue as I do not have a NVidia video card. Mine is an ATI 9700 Pro (driver 4.9 revised). And the driver was updated before the installation of PG3.
    Can we say then it is still related ?

12. Jason_DiamondCS

The bluescreens you are seeing are usually caused by video card drivers. I can't see how the ProcessGuard driver in itself can cause this bluescreen, but I am not ruling out that possibility having ProcessGuard installed is affecting whatever driver is causing the blue screen. I hope you understand. :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  13. A884126

I'll try...:doubt:

14. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

You may wish to try upgrading to the new ATI Catalyst driver that was issued yesterday, 14-Oct-04. It is referred to as version 4.10 which seems a bit odd because the previous version was 4.9. However, it does take the video adapter driver up from 6.14.10.6467 to 6.14.10.6483.

Here's a recommended procedure for upgrading the driver for ATI. (Windows XP-SP2)

1. Be sure to have installed Driver Cleaner version 3.3 for use during the driver upgrade. Read the README for Driver Cleaner.

2. Download the latest ATI 4.10 driver set and save it for installation later.

3. Create a new Restore point so that you have a current restore point should it be needed.

4. Disable Process Guard protection.

5. Use msconfig and turn off all your startup programs. Reboot your computer with all programs off. Be sure to be disconnected from the Internet to avoid possible attacks.

6. Using Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the current ATI driver.

7. When the ATI uninstaller asks you to reboot, reboot. However, boot up into SAFE Mode. (tapping F8 immediately on rebooting).

8. When the hardware driver wizard attempts to install the ATI driver, CANCEL the wizard. You may get two Wizard windows. Cancel them both.

9. Start Driver Cleaner V3.3. Under Tools, select Cab Cleaner and let it clean and rebuild your Cabs. This takes several minutes normal.

10. After the cabs are cleaned, Select ATI in the window and let it clean all the system32 elements for ATI.

11. After Driver Cleaner is done, close it and reboot to Windows with all your programs still turned off. When the hardware driver wizard attempts to install the ATI driver, CANCEL the wizard. You may get two Wizard windows. Cancel them both.

12. Run the installer for the new ATI driver. Follow the instructions during the installation. Reboot your computer when it says to.

13. After ATI performs its tests, set your desktop settings up if need be using Display in the Control Panel.

14. Start the Process Guard Gui and enable PG Protection.

15. Using msconfig, turn on all your startup programs and reboot with all your startup programs running.

I use the above procedure for each ATI driver upgrade on Windows XP and it has yet to fail me. :D

HTHs and solves your BSOD.

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for the superb help siliconman01, I am sure that ATI users will appreciate your excellent procedure.:)

Enjoy your weekend. Pilli

16. A884126

siliconman01, I just downloaded the Driver Cleaner and will update the driver today.

Thanks for your kindly advices.

17. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

y'all B Welcome. ;)

18. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Just to add my 2 cents on the issue... I just formatted and fresh installed recently but the XP SP2 I was running had PG3 and no BSOD until I updated the ATI 9600XT with the Catalyst Control Center or whatever that new thing is called big driver download. Installed the one without the CC and no problems so far. *crosses fingers*

19. Jason_DiamondCS

Do you mean the new Control Center which uses the .NET platform Eliot?

20. Access Denied

Yes. I am about to install last couple apps here now and create an image before installing PG3 again, followed by full ATI update while in learning mode. :D Will post back if same results occur. *puppy*

21. Access Denied

All installed and running better than ever now. Control Center working properly for the first time too. :D

22. Jason_DiamondCS

Well from what I have read about the new Control Center (the .NET version) it has quite a few bugs and issues, hopefully they will work them out in the coming releases.

23. Access Denied

I installed mine the "very safe" way incase anyone having trouble wants to try another way if you didn't already. Here is the method I used:

downloaded the CC from ATI
    disabled AV realtime monitor
    shutdown SpywareGuard and disabled SpywareBlaster Protection (dunno why, just hadn't tried it before, lol)
    disabled "insert any 2nd AV, Trojan, PG type of protection"
    closed everything from tray, task manager that was not needed to run XP
    installed CC and waited for 60 seconds after it said it was done before I rebooted
    rebooted
    waited 5 minutes before doing anything after boot(good time for doggie trip to outdoors here :D )
    enabled everything but PG, then PG (learning mode already set from above)
    opened CC successfully for 1st time

24. A884126

Eliot, lucky you. I just installed a full new and fresh system and I could not make it work at all. I checked some ATI forums and it seems many many people got concern with it.
    Then I am just using the old way through the display properties...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.