PG v2.000 - BOCLEAN 4.11

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Oremina, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Well.. I have got BOClean to not startup 2 times now.

I don't think this is HOOK related, at least in regards to the hook which PG usually blocks when BOClean runs. The reason I think this is because BOClean runs fine SOMETIMES even when the hook is blocked on startup, and 100% of the time when you run it AFTER startup and it's hook gets blocked it runs also.

The odd thing is people have said turning off Block Global Hooks makes this problem go away, so it could possibly be a bug with the driver causing this on startup when there is CPU/HARD DRIVE congestion. There seems to be a lot of undocumented events occuring on startup so it may take a while to understand what is going on here which causes this particular issue.

-Jason-

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

In addition to the other two workarounds I mentioned above (those being (1) Disable GH blocking entirely and (2) Start affected applications manually, rather than at startup), I offer yet another: Load the affected applications at startup, but introduce a delay in their loading so that they can load without being affected by whatever Process Guard bug is causing this problem.

The utility I use to delay startup applications is a freebie named Delayer. It is better than most others of its type because it doesn't interfere with anything else (being that it doesn't load one instance of itself that wants to control everything, but rather works on individual command lines), it's free, and it offers plenty of options.

I am only assuming that this workaround will actually help, but it's a strong assumption. Take affected applications and delay them by 30 or 60 seconds, and they should no longer pose a problem. An example command line for BOClean would be as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Delayer\Delayer.exe" "C:\Program Files\BOClean\BOClean.EXE" /D60 /H

Note that for BOClean, you will need to shut BOClean down before modifying the startup value in the registry (or else it the changes will be undone when BOClean exits). Most applications won't have this requirement.

You can object that it's not a good idea for BOClean to be delayed on startup, but I say a delay is better than not having it running at all. And honestly, if your system shuts down with BOClean running, and nothing is detected, it will start up the same way. Besides, BOClean is quite CPU hungry when it loads, and delaying it will make startup performance better in general.

3. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Hi All

This thread is going on a bit but I must say it seems to be in a very positive vein...

Latest situation here is that yesterday I broke PG - well I did something wrong with Program Protection and hooks or whatever, can't really remember, but what happened was that SymProxySvc (of NIS2002) kept asking for access to the internet (which it already had) and I couldn't get rid of it, just kept popping right back up. Couldn't do anything on the internet so it was a case of breaking down in tears or having a few beers.So had the beers and did a complete uninstall of PG in safe-mode, the whole shooting match including pguard.dat and phash.dat. After that everything was back to normal, no more problems with SymProxySvc or anything else.

I then reinstalled it, but had noticed a comment by Gavin in another thread to the effect that "Allow is good", but more importantly to me at this stage of the game that "blocking global hooks is not worth it for most people".. (see Gavin's reply in the thread-: "Well Done! and a Question").

Acoordingly I have left the Global Protection Options unticked, am putting .exe's into Program Protection one at a time and taking it easy instead of rushing to get it all done yesterday! Up to now everything if fine and I'm a happy camper again.

I will leave it so until the Global Hooks problem is solved.

I will mention something before I finish that once again may be coincidence - or not.

When I initially installed PG five days ago, I followed the instructions to the letter, all about "learning mode" etc.
    When I did the reboot after that, as my desktop came up everything froze, by which I mean I had no icons at all in the systray, the mouse pointer would move about but nothing would react . After it became obvious that nothing would ever happen again, I switched off at the tower, went info safe mode and uninstalled it. Then reinstalled it again. This time, after the "learning mode" I put BOClean.exe into Program Protection along with NIS iamapp.exe and NAV navapw. It then performed perfectly.

The reason I mention this is that yesterday when I reinstalled, exactly the same thing happened again.
    This time though I just put BOClean.exe on its own into PP and things went perfectly again.

Now, I really don't know if this makes any sense to you at DCS, I merely mention it in case it jogs anything in your minds and helps. It seemed to me as though BOClean needed to be in there first or nothing was going to happen. I just dunno... But that has happened both times I've done a clean install of PG and just seemed to me to be a bit coincidental.

Anyhow, I'm happy at the moment, PG is cooperating beautifully with everything else on my PC - but I guess only because Block GH is off.

I'll watch developments with great interest and hope everything works out well.

4. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

I have been waiting to be sure the BO Clean issue was worked out before installing the new version 2.0 of PG, I was gonna try it over the Easter holiday but I noticed the forums were down so I just left well enough alone.
    It took me considerable effort to get 1.3 to run properly (only runs well by delaying the startup) so I didn't want to bother with all that if their is still problems between BOC and PG.
    Thanks for any info you can provide. :)

5. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

tech - addict

In General Protection Options, I have Block Global Hooks disabled (unticked). That way I have no problem whatsoever with BOClean. But if I enable it, then the same problem arises, that is BOCLean will not fire up and has to be started manually (on occasion).
    As far as I am aware the problem still exists, but having read round various threads it is a known problem and does not only apply to BOClean.

HTH

6. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll give it a try now.
    Hopefully they can eventually get these apps to be fully compatable, I like them both very much and wouldn't want to do with out either one of them.
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.