PG/ Unable To Ask User Questions

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Rilla927, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I just noticed these items with Unable To Ask User

shmgrate.exe
    ie4uinit.exe
    defrag.exe
    dfrgntfs.exe

What should I do?

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

what do you mean Rilla?

3. Rilla927

I don't know if I should permit always or deny etc. If I leave them as is what is it going to affect?

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

have you set processguard to learning mode at least two times after reboot? I don't think so, and that's why some of your programs aren't working :D

if you trust a program, you can use it always without permission first.

other exe's are more delicate like rundll32.exe, regsvr32.exe, runonce.exe, notepad.exe... (look around here, you can find everything) these should be set at permit once...but only if you have setup your windows updates and all that :)

at least two boots with learning mode, in the meantime while in learning mode, use all your programs like you do in realtime, so pg and set it up automaticaly.

5. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

shmgrate.exe looks like a trogen to me...not sure though.

6. Rilla927

Since I just done a fresh install of Windows XP Home W/SP2, I put my PC Cillian on first and set it up and then I put PG on, and yes it was put in learning mode. This was last Sunday night.

I understand PG will give necessary permissions, but I noticed this morning when I looked in there, I seen these changes that weren't there before and I was questioning that.

7. Rilla927

I went on Google and thats what they said, but also there was info about it being a Windows System File. I look have looked through PG extensively to know what is there and when I noticed the shmgrate.exe, I thought uh oh!

Here's what's strange, I ran a full scan of TDS-3 this morning and came up clean.

I don't know what to think.

8. Rilla927

So what happens when you need to do updates for windows again. By permitting once only what types of events is this going to affect?

9. beetlejuice69

Well it`s a 42k file size. Make sure yours is that size for starters.

10. Rilla927

Make sure what is a 42k file size, I'm not quite sure I understand.

11. beetlejuice69

Oops sorry. The file "shmgrate.exe" that we were talking about.

12. Rilla927

That's okay BeetleJuice, you're entitled.

Does anyone know why a permission (allow or deny) would pop up from PG for rundll32.exe all of a sudden? All the programs have there own dlls, right! I wasn't in the middle of doing anything, so I Denied it.

13. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

rundll32.exe runs when you open things in the control panel e.g. display or if you right click My Computer and select properties.

14. Rilla927

:D Hi SpikeyB,

I'm fairly new to computers, so I'll always be learning. When someone points things out for you, that you don't understand, you never forget that. Thanks for your advice.

I did do what Infinity said about the rundll32.exe etc, and set them to Permit Once. I guess that DLL thing is tricky, ha.

I have a couple things in PG that has permissions for "Install Drivers", I think it's three items, that's the permissions PG gave it, so I never changed anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.