PG/NIS2002

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Oremina, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Went back to PG2 yesterday after 6 days with PG3. Seemed to have a slight problem between PG3 and my Norton Internet Security 2002.

In Norton's Internet Access Control sits a component of the firewall Called Norton Personal Firewall HTTP Filter, SymProxySvc.exe.

Everyday while PG3 has been installed, up pops a box asking that symproxysvc.exe be given permission to access the internet. (Sometimes this has happened two/three times in the day.)

It is not possible to access the internet while this box is showing as if I click to give it permission, it vanishes only to instantly reappear and will carry on like that for ever.

The only way round it as far as I can see is to come off the internet, remove symproxysvc from the firewall, then reboot, access the internet again and wait for the box to reappear. Then, on giving permission it will disappear, and everything behaves until next time.

When I originally installed PG3, and was in the learning mode, symproxysvc gave itself allow on Access Physical Memory. After a few days of the firewall playing up, I gave it permission for Global Hooks although there had been no alert for this. It didn't make any difference so have gone back to PG2 until the next release and I'll try it again.

None of this happens when PG2 is installed, so hope it is just a minor bug between PG3 and NIS2002.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Oremina, Sounds like it runs as a service and probably needs the Allow Service / install driver flag enabled. This probably accounts for the erratic behaviour.
    It appears that when Process Guard is in learning mode Norton requires quite a time before all it's services etc. get listed correctly.
    See this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48560

HTH Pilli :)

3. Oremina

Hi Pilli - I've got it on a different Image so I'll go straight back to it and try that. Fingers crossed.
    :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. Oremina

Pilli - FYI the tip about allowing the install driver/service flag seems to have been the answer, have had no problems since and PG3 been running sweet and smooth. Obliged..

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.