PG issues

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by dallen, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I just noticed that my processor is running at around 50% all the time. If I disable PG3, usage immediately drops significantly. However, I am not seeing anything in the alert log that would indicate why. Here is a screenshot of my task manager showing what is hogging my processor:
    http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~dallen/screenshot3.JPG

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

there is nothing out of the ordinary at first glance, I notice that you are useing IE explorerwhere as I running firefox and it shows that firefox is useing less resources. I also have PG 3.0 see my screen shot

Attached Files:

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi dallen,

It would help to see the "CPU Time" column in Task Manager (go View/Select Columns).

Nick

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I just edited the photo above. I'm concerned that my processor is occupied at a considerably higher rate when PG is running and the marked programs are consuming higher processor time when PG is enabled as opposed to disabled. This indicates that process guard is, for example, causing vsmon.exe to struggle.

5. bigc73542

vsmon.exe info here

6. bigc73542

ccevtmgr.exe -here

7. dallen

dallen Registered Member

8. bigc73542

did a bit of searching and this[ SPBBCSvc.exe ] is called a trojan on every forum I looked on. It might be worth a bit of checking to see if it might be the culprit.

9. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I would be very surprised if I have a trojan. I use TDS-3 from DiamondCS, one of the best anti-trojan softwares available. I think that "SPBBCSvc.exe" is associated with Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005, which is running on my system.

10. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have SPBBCSVC.exe running on my computer and I don't have an issue. It's from Symantec. I have zero CPU usage and memory usage 1,916K.

11. bigc73542

I just skimmed over a few forums that came up with that as a search word and the rusults were the specalist at the forums reading HJT logs and telling how to remove SPBBCSvc.exe. Without really getting into it I took it for granted it was an unwanted process. Just thought I would mention what I saw.

[edit] looks like we found out what it is. a symantec process. thanks Jon_fl

12. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Do those programs which have the higher CPU usage have allow flags in ProcessGuard? What is their setup in your protection list currently?

13. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Norton AntiVirus 2005 mentions compatibility issues with ZA. Tweaking NAV services, including SPBBCSvc.exe, are also mentioned.

Nick

14. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I appreciate all your help. By the way, I really like PG3. I complain a lot about the time it takes for you to release programs. You all wonder why, then you release programs like PG3. When programs are this good, it should be obvious to you why we want TDS-4. Here is a screenshot of the settings you requested:
    http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~dallen/screenshot5.JPG

15. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have NAV2005 and ZA and I have no issues whatsoever.

16. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Do you have ZA self protection turned on ? sorry I haven't looked at it for a while and can't say offhand what the setting is named

17. dallen

dallen Registered Member

"Protect the Zone Alarm Client"
    Yes I had it on, but turning it off does not seem to fix the problem.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What does Norton System Works 2005 include. Does it have a firewall. I use Zone Alarm and I am seeing nothing like what you are showing.

19. dallen

dallen Registered Member

No Firewall. It comes with Norton Anti Virus, Ghost and System Doctor.

20. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You might just want to close down one program at a time to see if you can find out why the SYSTEM process is using 50% of your CPU, that may help find if there is a specific process causing this.

21. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I've closed down NAV, Ad-Watch, and ZA, but for some reason the only way I can stop this from happening is to disable PG. I really would like to fix this issue. How would you recommend I go about doing so?

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Dallen

It would seem like your problem is somehow related to your setup as there isn't a widespread problem.

You might try what Pilli suggested to another user. Uncheck all of PG's protections but leave protection enabled. If that solves the problem, then add back the protections one at a time and see what breaks it.

If there still is a problem with only the basic protection on you may have to go thru your list on programs and see if you can find the culprit.

Hopefully someone might have a better idea.

Pete

23. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

there could be a problem with your having both nav and virusscan installed..

i saw that someone else mentioned that they too were using virusscan: i don't understand why virusscan apparently works for some people, but not for others..

24. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Turning OFF NAV 2005 self protection solves this high CPU useage on my XP-SP2 system. I let PG protect NIS 2005. In your case it would SystemWorks Premier self protection that you would turn off.

If you look in the Alert logs for Norton you will see rapid and multiple alert logs about Process Guard being blocked from accessing various Norton modules.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  25. dallen

dallen Registered Member

siliconman01,
    Doing what you suggest works. Where exactly is the Alert log found? I would like to try to uncover what is the cause of this. I suspect that there are some files that if added to PG and given appropriate access rights could solve this issue.

redwolfe_98,
    I only have NAV on my sytem as virus protection. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say virusscan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.