PG is acting wierd

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by notageek, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Everytime I start somehting new or run a program that I code PG act weird. See picture.

Attached Files:

• PG.jpg
      PG.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Everytime a program of yours is modified, PG will ask you for permission to let it run

Same with every new program.

if you don't want the popup messages for frequently used programs just choose 'always allow'.

But cant get around the popups for the modified/new programs unless you unmark 'Execution Protection' in the main tab of PG

3. notageek

I know this. Look at the screen shot. Notice the black boxes where accept should be. Notice that the pop up looks weird. I want to know if this is a bug. I scanned for malware and came back clean. I have windows XP sp2 640 RAM

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi notageek,

I installed Dev-C++, ran it through its paces for a while, but could not duplicate what you're seeing. I did notice, though, that the PG alert popup seems to have some trouble displaying correctly with the Dev-C++ main window in the background. When I minimize the Dev-C++ background window, the PG alert popup refreshes and looks normal.

Nick

Attached Files:

5. notageek

It's doing it on every program I run now. If I remove Mozilla from the safe list and when PG ask me if I want to permit it, I get the same looking window as I attached in my first post. I find this weird.

6. notageek

I unistalled PG, rebooted, tried to reinstall and I get an error saying can't install the driver. When I reboot I get an error saying can't load the mutux (SP?). I'm giving up and going to look for something that works almost the same.

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Looks like a memory problem, or some other issue. Drawing errors like that are most likely related to video drivers, or video memory/chipset

You need to disable protection to uninstall PG. If you try to uninstall it manually, you will break the install - PG protects itself against tampering and is the only product out there which does. What's the point if a trojan can just come along and delete the driver and reboot your machine ? No point even having a security program if it isn't secure.. :)

Follow the step by step uninstall in the help file, or simply reboot to Safe Mode and delete procguard.sys

8. notageek

Thanks Gavin. I followed the step by step instructions in the help file when I uninstalled it. I'll mess with it some more later. I'm pretty tired tonight to mess with it. I'll post back what happed when I reinstall it.

9. notageek

Gavin I did what the help file said to do. I rebooted to safe mode, uninstalled PG, looked for the files the help file said to look for and didn't find them, rebooted to normal mode and tried to reinstall PG and I get an error saying thyat the driver can't be installed. So I went back to safe mode unistalled pg the same way as before and reboot back into safe mode to try to install PG and I still get the can't install driver error. I cleaned PG from my registry both times I tried to install.

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi notageek,

What other security apps are you running? I can try to duplicate your setup on a clean XP Pro install and see what I can find.

Nick

11. notageek

MS AntiSpyware, Sygate Personal Firewall free and Proxomiltron. I'm a little light on security apps. :) I forgot to add my AV. It's McAfee 7.03

12. nick s

nick s Registered Member

That makes it easier ;). Have you been trying to install PG with the other apps active?

Nick

13. notageek

No I have shut down everything that I can.

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

OK. Be back in a while.

Nick

15. notageek

OK It's my day off so I'll be around. :) It feels good to have a day off after working the last few weeks without one.

16. notageek

Anyone know what these reg keys are?

Attached Files:

17. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

18. notageek

That was my old post. That was the first post I looked at when this problem started. I tried everything I did before. Thanks Primrose. I'm going to try to delete the reg keys and see what happens.

19. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi notageek,

Well, I went at it in three steps. In the first step, I installed McAfee, Sygate, and MSAS (in that order). The apps seem to get along well except for an application event log error at every system shutdown (see the pic below). I imaged the system at this point.

The next step was to install PG with the three apps shut down or disabled via their tray icons. After going through Learning Mode (with McAfee, Sygate, and MSAS active again), I enabled all Global Protection Options and rebooted. At startup, PG blocked several actions by Sygate and McAfee, after which I was able to adjust permissions in PG without any problems. I rebooted a few more times and did not have any problems with PG (including the alert popups). I imaged the system again.

Attached Files:

20. nick s

nick s Registered Member

My last step was to restore the first image and install PG without disabling the other apps. The only noticeable difference was the intervention by MSAS, which has the ability to alert to and block the creation of services (and other registry autostarts). After granting permission via MSAS, PG installed cleanly. Again, I had no problems with PG during or after exiting Learning Mode. Later I installed Dev-C++ and again had no problems with PG's alert popups. After a few more reboots, I uninstalled PG in Normal Mode, with the other apps running. PG uninstalled cleanly without having to do any manual file removal or registry cleaning. After one more restart, I reinstalled PG and had no problems.

Sorry that I could not duplicate your problems. Since MSAS has the ability to interfere with registry modifications, you might try uninstalling it and see if PG installs successfully. I imaged again after the third step, so it is not a problem to play with it again if there is something else you want to throw into the mix.

Nick

Attached Files:

21. notageek

OK. Thanks. I got it installed. Here's what I did. I installed PG again to the point of the error and let it finish. I rebooted. Uninstalled PG and removed every registry entry by hand. I removed all the files pointing to PG and rebooted. I installed my copy of PG and got the same error so I went and downloaded a new copy of PG and uniistalled the other one and rebooted installed the new one and rebooted. Now it's installed. It seems to of been a bad copy of PG.

22. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Glad it worked out :).

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.