PG install/Set Up?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by ArchAngel_8, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

I get an error message when I boot my computer..

Could Not Attatch PG to Kernel-Mode driver
    Please make sure PG is installed correctly

Any ideas o_O
    o_O

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

ArchAngel,

I wild guess: you don't have any apps like socklock installed, have you?

regards,

paul

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again ArchAngel_8, Firstly the PG driver should be running. to check this go to Start - Accessories -System tools & open System Information then open the Software Environment folder, click on System drivers - Scroll down the list until you come to procguard, click on it and scroll across looking down the started column should say YES - If YES Close system information.
    Now click the pg icon on your desktop or launch bar and this will open the PG window, first time you do it PG will ask if you wish to protect the default programmes - Say yes.
    Now open the protection menu & click enable protection, then minimise PG.

Restart your PC - Hopefully th PG icon will appear in the notification area. If not you can still start PG manually as there is a timing error which does sometimes stop processguard.exe attaching to the Kernel.

After that Read the help file & the other threads here carefully whilst setting up PG

HTH Pilli

4. ArchAngel_8

Hi... As far as that program you mentioned Paul.. No, atleast not that I am aware of.

pilli.. I did as you instructed, and the driver is active..

Started Auto
    State Running
    Status Ok
    Error Control Normal

I opened and I confirmed protection is active. I'll restart now and see what happens....BRB...

5. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

as far as i know, this is a universal problem. the solution is to disable procguard.exe from running at startup. PG still is protecting the computer without procguard.exe running. if you need to open procguard, do it manually, from start/all programs, for example. also, (in case you were not aware) you have to enable protection in PG.. it is off by default..

6. ArchAngel_8

Hi redwolfe_98..

Well I have PG protection active. But with regards to the error message, I was under the impression that the way in whicj PG worked, was by installing at the kernel level. This I presume is a level of the system a potential hacker could not access. I know nothing about computers at that level or complexity, so if I am misunderstanding the way in which PG works I apologize. pilli had me check my PG driver statys and my OS states it is Running, in Auto Mode, and that its status is OK. :rolleyes:

7. redwolfe_98

yes, i was addressing the issue about the "could not attach kernel driver" error message. you can avoid that by starting procgoard.exe manually (instead of it's autostarting), and PG is still protecting your computer without procguard.exe's running.. i think that what is confusing you is the difference between "pg_msgprot.exe" and "procguard.exe".. even if procguard.exe is not autostarted, the driver for pg is still running automatically.. you can see it running in your processes as "pg_msgprot.exe" procguard.exe is the control panel/console where you add processes to protection, etc.., and brings up the red pg systray icon.

8. ArchAngel_8

:p Hey.. All
    I (by accident) opened and "left running" PG. I then(not related) rebooted my PC. When my machine restarted I did not get the error message I reported above.
    :eek:
    I then opend (or actually clicked on PG icon) and it did not have the error message listed as well(Before it was listed in the program window just before "protection is active").
    I then "closed" PG and confirmed that I wanted to close it, then rebooted.
    When I rebooted I got the error message again at startup as well as in the program diagnostic in the PG window. I then opened, and minimized the PG program and rebooted. When my system started it did not show the error message and the PG diagnostic also did not show the error.

So.. was I being an "idiot" by closeing the program and thus causeing the error message? Could somebody try and reproduce this and see if they get the same results? :rolleyes: :oops:

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I hope to have this issue sorted in 1.200 :)

-Jason-

10. redwolfe_98

sorry.. it looks like i mis-spoke.. according to the pg help file, "pg_msgprot.exe" is associated with "close message handling", not the procguard driver.. like pilli said, you can check the procguard driver in msinfo32/software environment/system drivers/procguard.. :)

11. ArchAngel_8

Well, I spoke too soon. I tried rebooting a couple of more times and it continues to have the error. I did try and close the PG service in windows task manager, using an admin acount and I was unable to do so. :D So I suspect PG is still protecting the included programs. Could someone let me know the specific TDS3 and WG exe files to include in PG. Or should I include anything with exe in the PG protection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.