PG Full License Advice

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by richrf, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

I just upgraded to a full license for PG 3.0. I have been running the free version for a month on my system with no problems so I decided it was time to upgrade. With the full version, I have some quick questions:

1) Should I turn all of the global protections on? If so, should I expect any additional "pop-up" questions as I execute programs or services that were already validated while running the free version? If so, how should I respond.

2) Should I give Advance Process Termination termination rights.

3) Should I allow programs like Process Explorer to install drivers? Would doing this or the above open me up to security issues? I do not use APT or PE that often.

4) Any other known issues or FAQ that I should be aware of? I know that there is this whole question about Secure Message Handling. Is it enough of an issue that I should be concerned about it. If so, how should I approach this. I have read the PG help documentation - and it is too ambiguous for me.

For example, from the Help Documentation:

"Simply go to the Protection page in ProcessGuard and select the application you want to enable Secure Message Handling on. Then simply ensure that it is ticked in the Other options for this application. If the application you want to add Secure Message Handling to is not in the list, simply click on Add Application first."

This is all well and good, but how do I know which application needs to be secured? If this can be clarified, I would appreciate it, but if this aspect of PG is too complicated, I can live without it for the time being, since I do not want to create any new problems for myself.

Thanks for the assistance.

Rich

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Rich, I am glad that you have decided to buy ProcessGuard :)

Hi all,

I just upgraded to a full license for PG 3.0. I have been running the free version for a month on my system with no problems so I decided it was time to upgrade. With the full version, I have some quick questions:

1) Should I turn all of the global protections on? If so, should I expect any additional "pop-up" questions as I execute programs or services that were already validated while running the free version? If so, how should I respond.

Yes, But do it it in learning mode and run all your important programs again as this allows PG to set up any new allows necessary for the general tabs to function correctly, then reboot. You may get requests for some protected programs to allow global hooks, IE for instance, I personally do not allow it but it can effect how IE works on some sites. Quite a few programs will ask you to allow mouse hooks and you will have to decide which you allow or not. Currently I only have install global hooks allowed on ProcGuard.exe

2) Should I give Advance Process Termination termination rights.

No, APT emulates what Trojans may do to close programs, if you add to the protection list it will have an open field, obviously you will need to let it run on the security list for the purposes of testing

3) Should I allow programs like Process Explorer to install drivers? Would doing this or the above open me up to security issues? I do not use APT or PE that often.

You, should limit allowing programs to install services & drivers especialy those that do not need it such as IE, and most security software.
    Usually it is system devices that need this ability and then only once, I do allow process explorer to install it's service but others do not

4) Any other known issues or FAQ that I should be aware of? I know that there is this whole question about Secure Message Handling. Is it enough of an issue that I should be concerned about it. If so, how should I approach this. I have read the PG help documentation - and it is too ambiguous for me.

For example, from the Help Documentation:

"Simply go to the Protection page in ProcessGuard and select the application you want to enable Secure Message Handling on. Then simply ensure that it is ticked in the Other options for this application. If the application you want to add Secure Message Handling to is not in the list, simply click on Add Application first."

This is all well and good, but how do I know which application needs to be secured? If this can be clarified, I would appreciate it, but if this aspect of PG is too complicated, I can live without it for the time being, since I do not want to create any new problems for myself.

Secure Message Handling (SMH) only needs to be applied to your security programs that have an easy to close option such as x, exit, quit where there is no request asked as to whether you really want to close it.
    Process Explorer being such a program.
    ZA, KAV do have good closing protection ans do do most prgrams that require a passphrase to close them.

You can train SMH to learn of the different methods that aprogrm uses to close by pressing the Insert key whilst say clicking the X or quit

Please feel free to ask any further questions. Pilli

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Pilli,

This was lots of help. I went ahead and did as you suggested.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.