PG-based security setup: Your advice please?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Pinga, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Hello,

I've become a regular visitor to this forum over the past few weeks and I've learnt a lot here, for which I thank you all. My security setup (on XP SP2) has since changed to the following:

Firefox 2.0 with NoScript
    Visnetic Firewall 2.3
    AVG Anti-Virus 7.5
    ProcessGuard 3.150

Perhaps I should add a specific spyware/malware program to the mix, a resident shield rather than a scanner. It should be as light as possible and not overlap too much with ProcessGuard, which I want to keep.

Any suggestions?

2. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I'd go for BOClean.
    Light as a feather, has a look at things after your AV and doesn't seem to cause any major conflicts on my system.
    Great customer support as well.
    Only cons are you have to buy it up front and apply for refund if it doesn't suit you but they're pretty good at doing this I understand. (not that many people seem to have needed to do this....)
    Major plus - can be used on up to 5 PCs licenced to you.
    Alternatives might be PrevX1 (paid) or Cyberhawk (free) - although they work a little differently (essentially HIPS/ CIPS) or possibly Spyware Terminator (free) without HIPS module activated. You could try AVG AntiSpyware as you already have AVG AV but its paid for only for a real time shield and I think BOClean is better.
    Why not try a few sequentially and see which one best meets your needs.
    Good luck
    Lee

3. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I think it depends on the method of infection you are worried about.

If you are worried about catching something while surfing, then PG will stop everything that an AS would.

If you are worried about catching something from a dodgey download, then a scanner can be used to scan the file(s).

With PG installed, I don't see a need for a real time AS. I don't see the need for a real time AV either (but that's a different discussion).

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestions!

I do have second thoughts about PrevX1 (a bit too commercial for my taste), Cyberhawk (what is their business model and will they be around 2 years from now?) and Spyware Terminator (credibility issues and a rather peculiar product portfolio).

But I'll definitely give BOClean a try. Too bad they don't have a trial version.

What about Primary Response SafeConnect? It looks good and I like the fact that their products are well-documented, and that it's a real company with real people and a real phone number :)

http://www.sanasecurity.com/products/standalone.php

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2071456,00.asp

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@pinga,
    I would reccomend you trial online armor from here
    www.tallemu.com
    it has great support from there forums on there site.
    lodore

6. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Thanks but I'm not looking for support, but rather something that is truly zero maintenance... plus it appears that OA is an anti-everything solution that covers a lot of what PG is already doing...

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Pinga
    i would say for your setup just get some on demand scanners and your set.
    if you always use firefox with no script you are very unlikly to become infected.
    lodore

8. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

If you're looking primarily for impunity while surfing, you may want to consider virtualization/sandbox proggies.
    SandboxIE, Defensewall for example.
    Using SandboxIE here. Small money, little resources.

9. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.