PG and OA Comparison

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am running PG free and OA trial together on my PC, It,s interesting to compare how these two work. I have seen mostly both of them giving alerts together that makes me feel that there is a lot of overlap, although there are some differences( like OA has some type of selective malware signature identicication probably that PG lacks, OA scans programmes on installing unlike PG that decreases popups, OA may have more monitoring for IE than PG-- all are just my guess from use, I am not expert at all, pls correct me if I am wrong).

I will be happy if somebody who knows better, can compare the two, with relative advantages and disadvantages of the two( I don,t mean to degrade any of these 2-- infact I like both very much).

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

ProcessGuard (licensed) offers a lot more extensive indepth protection that OA at the present time for the types of protection that PG offers. If you look at the Global Protection options of PG, these specific elements are not part of the current version of OA. The direct overlap is the execution protection of new or updated programs. Perhaps V2.0 of OA will be more of match when it comes out.

OA has a wide variety of protection that it is offering. Only a specific area is comparable to what PG is designed for.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Are not these two statements conflicting? Can you explain a bit. Also what are the areas which are covered by OA but not PG?

5. nicM

nicM nico-nico

What siliconman01 wanted to say is that PG does offer some more features than OA (for now ;) ) about "process control" : if both are overlapping for process execution, PG can detect driver/services loading, process termination, physical memory access.

...OA has strong arguments in this corner too, since it's not limitated to .exe files, unlike PG : OA can handle more executable types than PG (.sys, etc). It can detect keystroke sniffing ("keyloggers") too, like PG. And special features, that you can't find in PG: you can track changes made by programs, to cancel it later :D ..

But this is the only "type" of features where PG and OA are overlaping; OA has a more comprehensive protection, because it does offer more features, upon process control : Registry protection, web protection (checking of internet pages before they're loading), mail protection (anti-phishing/ DNS checking, etc). File checking, as you said. I've even seen somewhere that it does even check pictures for hidden auto-executables files/double extension :eek: . Another difference is that OA does get regular updates, via it's GUI - I mean without to uninstall the program.

So all depends about what you're looking for; although there's overlap the difference of features between theses two programs make that you can run them both if you wish or can't choose (I think some people do, here), to benefit from OA's more wide protection, with PG's own features.

Of course, situation will evolve with the coming OA version 1.2 - and 2, already discussed in many threads here on Wilders, if you make a search :) .

The consensus is that OA is easier to use than PG though.

Cheers,
    nicM

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.